Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my Fan broken?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CalusBlade

CalusBlade

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:23 AM

I have no clue if my fan is broken. I open up my laptop/notebook (to me they are pretty much the same) and found little to no dust (something that can be wipe off with a napkin by dapping it). I do feel air coming out of the vent. But I don't hear it turn on to its highest point anymore. Does it turn on when the CPU is high or when the IBM (Hard drive) is high. When would the fan turn to its highest point usually? How much will it cost for a computer repair shop to replace the fan?

I use Everst to monitor my temperature. During casual us, CPU is around 35-38 C and Hard drive is at 40-45 C. During gaming (mainly Warcraft 3 and Maplestory) the hard drive goes to 40-45 C and CPU goes to 48-51 C. I have a fan blowing to help keep it cool. Should I put it the other way so it sucks instead of blows? (I put it on opposite ends so it blows and doesn't interfere with the laptop/notebook fan usually)

I'm putting the requirements for the games I play below and my computer status. Let me know if I am stressing the laptop.

Additional Info: the (---) is what my computer uses.

Warcraft 3 requirements:
400 MHz Pentium II (600 MHz processor)
128 MB of RAM (256 MB of Ram)
550 MB of free space
16 MB video card (32 MB video)

Maplestory requirements
500 MHz CPU
64 MB RAM (can go up to 128)
1.3 GB MB hard disk space (depends on version)

My Computer:
Mobile Intel Pentium 4M, 2000 MHz
512 Ram
Field Value
Mobility Radeon 7500 (32 MB video card)

Can I test the fan to see if it's working?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mhr+

mhr+

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:31 AM

You can try running Speedfan to see if you're fans are running as they should be. This should give you a good idea with whats going on. Try to run it normally, then start WC3 and see how they are running then.

The fans will usually be running fastest whenever you have a CPU heavy program running, which can be a game like WC3.

Usually replacing a fan isn't too expensive.

-mhr+

#3 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:21 PM

-nvm on the first line. . .i downloaded regcure lol-

I change the fan and now its sucking at the vent. So far. . .Maplestory for some reason raises the CPU temp while WC3 raise hard drive

In configuration it tells me I have no fan 0_o. But I know I do because I heard it before. So far it is at 42/42 and i was playing like 15 minutes ago.

During Maplestory, it does up to 49 (hard drive) after a few hours.

Edited by CalusBlade, 18 June 2009 - 05:17 PM.

#4 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 05:30 PM

I am pretty sure my notebook/laptop's fan is dead. . .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users