Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP: XP Hangs on pci.sys file! please help

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 killa99

killa99

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 06:43 AM

Hello everyone,

Before any of this happened, I installed Norton Ghost, and switched my DVD drive with a CD burner. I had to restart the computer for some reason, when I logged into XP, all the desktop icons showed and everything, then the computer just froze

So i pressed the "reset" switch on my computer. Then my computer started to run the "Chkdsk" on my hard drive. It found alot of errors and dealt with them successfully. Now every time I restart, my computer hangs at the following file (the splash screen doesn't even show!)

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Drivers\PCI.sys

I am running on Windows XP Pro SP3.

Things I have tried:

1.) edited the boot.ini file so that I can see which drivers are loaded by adding:

/fastdetect /noguiboot /sos /bootlog

at the end

2.) Can't boot into safe mode....also hangs at pci.sys

3.) Expanding the pci.sys file from a SP2 XP cd to \windows\system32\drivers\pci.sys with the following command

Expand D:\i386\pci.sy_ C:\windows\system32\drivers /y

no luck.

4.) Tried to 'Repair install' booting from the Windows XP cd, then going to "repair this installation". Completed successfully, but still hangs at pci.sys

5.) I have a SP3 XP installation on a different hard drive (also installed on this computer) and I can boot successfully into there. So i tried replacing the pci.sys file from that installation, but no go.

6.) Tried switching back to the dvd burner, no go. Tried removing both dvd drive and cd burner, still nothing.

7.) I checked which file was after pci.sys by adding /fastdetect /noguiboot /sos /bootlog to the XP installation on my other hard drive. The file that was after pci.sys was "isapnp.sys".

I tried to replace isapnp.sys with my XP installation on my other HD but no luck. Then I tried to replace it from my Windows XP cd, again it didn't work. It still hangs at pci.sys.

I have no idea what else to try...It just doesn't get passed the pci.sys file :thumbsup:

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks alot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 06:59 AM

I found this thread: THREAD

It may help you. Reseat the RAM. Have you replaced any other hardware on this computer? Have you tried to start the computer with all hardware disconnected from Motherboard- just using the minimum needed, such as one stick of RAM, etc... If that does not start correctly then retry using only the 'other' stick of RAM.

It seems possible that this is a hardware issue, with your motherboard. Have you tried installed your hard drive in another computer and see if that computer boots?

I like your troubleshooting skills, btw. Very impressive.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 killa99

killa99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:57 AM

Thanks for the fast reply Albert Frankenstein,

I thought that since my other XP installation loaded fine it cant be a hardware problem. But it is still worth a try. I will try that when I get home. Unfortunately I only have 1 stick of RAM :thumbsup: I'll do some research to find out how to reset the RAM and try that as well.

I haven't tried to install the hard drive in a different computer. I only have one other computer which is pretty old, so I'm not sure if it is going to work. But I will give it a try.

Thanks for the great advice, I'll let you know how it goes.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:05 AM

I thought that since my other XP installation loaded fine it cant be a hardware problem. But it is still worth a try. I will try that when I get home.

Well, you are probably correct.

I'll do some research to find out how to reset the RAM and try that as well.

Not RESET, but rather RESEAT. Simply take the one stick of ram out and put it back in. That was my thought there.

Hmmm.... Let me continue thinking about your issue while others may respond. <scratches head>
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:11 AM

Then my computer started to run the "Chkdsk" on my hard drive. It found alot of errors and dealt with them successfully. Now every time I restart, my computer hangs

So, it seems that the issue started with your computer sensing a fault with the hard drive.

An idea is to run another hard drive tester. I am recommending the one from Gateway. I do not know the link to it or if it is still available from Gateway, but if you PM me I will either email it to you or I can post it on the internet for you to download. It is an ISO file, simply extract it, burn the ISO file to a CD, and then it will self boot when you restart your computer. The good thing about this particular program is that it will not only tell you if it found errors, but it will also attempt to fix them. It has gotten me out of some messes in the past.

Let me know.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#6 killa99

killa99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:14 AM

What is the name of the utility? I'll see if I can find it and post the link. That way other people can use it if they ever read this thread :thumbsup:

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:33 AM

GWSCAN511.exe
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#8 killa99

killa99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 12:02 PM

Thanks. I think there is a newer version of it called GWSCAN512. Here is the D/L link:

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers...an512&st=kw

I'll let you know how it goes once I run it.

#9 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 03:34 PM

You will be given the choice to run the quick test or the extended test. Choose the extended test. Then the program will run the quick test first, give you the results, and then run the extended test.

I don't know the exact numbers with this Gateway utility, but with a similar HP HDD utility I used when I worked for HP, I was told that the quick test results where 85% accurate. It takes the extended test to know for sure.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#10 killa99

killa99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 11:41 AM

Hello, sorry for taking so long to reply. What happened was I dont have a floppy drive so I took it from my old computer. But it didn't work properly....sometimes it wouldn't read the disk, it couldn't format the floppy for some reason (kept getting " Windows was unable to complete the format") I borrowed 2 drives from work and theyg ave the same problem. Anyways, i ended up burning the 1.4 mb file onto a cd :flowers:

I ran the extended test. The quick scan completed without any errors. The extended scan started, and said it is going to take about 1hr to complete. I left it on overnight, when I checked the next morning, the computer was off. Tried to boot up XP but gave the same problem. :trumpet: I wasn't sure if the extended scan completed or not, so I ran it again. I sat there for like 10 minutes, everything seemed to be running ok, so I left and came back after 1hr but it was off again. It still does not boot into XP.

I think during the scan it doesn't know how to handle some kind of error or something and just shuts off. Maybe I can try another scanning tool? Do you have any suggestions? :thumbsup:

Edited by killa99, 20 June 2009 - 11:47 AM.

#11 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 12:37 PM

I have used that utility about one hundred times, and it has never shut off, not under any circumstances. Not if there was an error or not - if I ran it overnight, or whatever. I have never seen it shut off.

So.

I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps you should stay with the computer while it runs to see exactly what happens.

Or, put a different hard drive in that computer, any old hard drive, and then run the utility. If your computer still shuts off, then this issue with with a different piece of hardware, perhaps the power supply.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#12 killa99

killa99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 08:50 PM

Hey Albert,

The problem was the case lid wasn't on. For some reason my computer shuts off at random times if it isn't on. I think it is a cooling issue, since there is a fan on the lid and if it isn't on the computer gets too hot. Or maybe something weird is going on with the PSU. I dunno, but i dont think its related to this HD issue (this has been happening for many months)

Anyways...the extended scan completed successfully. It showed the message "No errors found". I also ran a quick scan on my other HD's (I also have a removable HD with an XP installation, so thats 3 HD's altogether) which were completed without errors. If my other XP installations didn't work I would think that my motherboard is defective. The hard drive seems to be fine.... maybe it is a windows XP issue??

Thanks for the help so far! :thumbsup:

#13 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:28 AM

It does seem to be a software issue, but it is puzzling. Would it be a big deal to reformat and perform a clean install at this point?

I am kind of out of ideas.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#14 killa99

killa99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2009 - 10:50 PM

Hey Albert,

I was hoping I could fix this issue without a format. There has to be a solution right? I think I will give it some more time.

If I find a solution I will post it here. If you come up with any ideas, just post them here.

Thanks for the great help & fast replies :thumbsup:

Edited by killa99, 21 June 2009 - 10:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users