Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing trojan-spy

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Achielles

Achielles

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 03 July 2005 - 03:59 PM

Hello, I'm new to the forums and I was going through the process that you explain to remove the trojan-spy virus and it seemed everything was going well until I got to this step:

STEP 16:
From Safe Mode, open CCleaner. We need to make some configuration changes before running the program.

1.) Click the Options button, now click the Advanced button, uncheck the box "Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours".
2.) Next click the Cookies button, in the Cookies to Delete window, locate any good cookies you want to keep, such as your login cookies to websites, click on them once, click on the -> arrow button to move them over to the Cookies to Keep window, click OK.
3.) Next click on the Issues button, uncheck both boxes Registry Integrity and File Integrity.
4.) Now click the Run Cleaner button in the lower RH corner and let it scan for all files and folders.
(You'll see the results in the large Progress window.)
6.) After the scan has completed, click Exit.

After I rebooted my computer, it said:

This application has failed to start because WININET.dll was not found.

From there it just goes to a blue screen and I can't do anything. Is my system crashed? What can I do? Any help would be great.

------->Achielles

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 04 July 2005 - 12:45 AM

Can you boot into safe mode? Instructions can be found here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How...Mode-tut61.html

If you can, do a search for any files on your computer called wininet.dll and tell me where they are located. What version of windows? Do you have access to the computer from another machine? I may have you copy the wininet.dll from a good xp machine to the one that had a problem (which was most likely a new smitfraud variant)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users