Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with booting

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Zarton

Zarton

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 12:51 AM

Hello everyone.

First of all I would like to apologize if I posted in the wrong section because I really do not know if the problem is hardware or software.

My father recently bought a laptop for work running Windows Vista Basic. I didn't like the Vista part so I tried to install XP, but upon starting the Windows installation the bsod came up. I assumed it was because of some preconfigured HP Windows Installation Launcher, so I left it as it was and forgot about that.

Two days ago I was forced to shutdown the laptop by holding down the power button because it freezed. Since then it has been constantly crashing, freezing and I had to repeat the same shutdown as before. Each time I repeated it got worse, I could rarely even turn it on. Most of the time it got stuck before trying to boot the operating system, but sometimes it booted normally and it was stable for some time. I tried booting Hiren's Boot CD to run a disk check or something similar but I couldn't even boot the CD. After that I got very pissed off and formated the disk with an Ubuntu Live CD, then tried to install Windows XP again and the same bsod as before has shown up. Precisely it shows up after Windows installation loads all files, when starting installation. I made a huge mistake by formating the hard drive and I don't know what to do. The message I get from the bsod is only "stop:0x0000007B (and some code i didn't write down)"

So now I can't install Windows xp and Vista too because I removed the HP windows installation by formating the disk. I can only boot Linux.

Someone, please help me.
Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:26 AM

When you formatted with the Live CD what did you format the disk to? If you chose NTFS, the Windows installer will not complete, because it does not like Linux-made NTFS partitions. You will have to use the Windows CD to delete the partition and reformat it.

Also, what type of laptop is it?
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 Zarton

Zarton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:38 AM

My mistake. I didn't format the partitions, I just deleted them to make unpartitioned place. But I don't think it matters, because I can't even enter the installation setup.
It's a HP 6830s.

#4 Zarton

Zarton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:59 AM

Solved the problem by myself. The bios wasn't configured correctly. Hard disk mode was set to AHCI, when I changed it to IDE the bsod didn't show anymore.

edit: But it didn't solve the problem of freezing. It gets stuck while installing Windows XP.

Edited by Zarton, 18 June 2009 - 02:33 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:15 AM

If you are trying to install XP Home on a laptop made for Vista...you should not be surprised at problems.

A look at the HP site shows various drivers for Vista and drivers for XP Pro...but no drivers for XP Home.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...p;swEnvOID=1093

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users