Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Experiencing Sudden Restarts

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 andregmac

andregmac

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 12:47 AM

I am sending this query on my wife's PDA, so please be patient ...

Here is my system's vitals:
Asus A7N8X Motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 2400+ processor
1024 DDR 400 memory

I recently on the "AM I INFECTED" section concerning my computer's sudden restarts and BSOD. After not getting very far with that topic, I thought I would just bite the bullet and just reformat the hard drive. After spending an entire day reformatting my Seagate hard drive, I began to load Win XP Pro. Once the install CD had copied its files, it did its usual restart. Here's where the fun begins...

Once the restart finished, it moved to continue the installation on the Windows completion screen, then it began repeatedly restarting the computer on that page. I then tried to get some use out of the install CD, but the computer would restart immediately on the "CHECKING SYSTEM'S HARDWARE" page. I even triedvthe Seagate diagnostic CD but once I get into one of the menu items, the program crashes.

Now, I have a computer in pieces trying to figure out what's up. sometimes the BIOS will let me in only to restart again and again. Other times, the BIOS will reset itself and change its features, being real sticky about letting me go in and change features (suddenly restarting on a single key stroke).

I did have someone at a computer shop suggest it might be the CD-ROM. It does seem to work better with it unplugged, but then I have no way of getting to the install CD.

I have flashed the BIOS, switched things around till I am seeing cables in my nightmares, checked the new memory stick (MEMTEST says its fine), and replaced the power supply (the old one died while trying to solve the problem).

I feel like I have narrowed down the problem to my old Sony R/RW CD-ROM. But I was wondering if this was just a internal device failing or am I barking up the wrong tree and there is a more serious problem here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated ...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:32 AM

What did you use to reformat your drive? It sounds to me like this might be related to junk data left on the drive. . . when a computer tries to read junk data all kinds of weird things can happen. Two free utilities for wiping drives clean are Killdisk and Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN).

http://www.killdisk.com/
http://www.dban.org/

Try wiping the disk again. . . hopefully this will work.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:06 AM

When the manufacturer's diagnostic cannot complete its job...that would tell me that the drive is bad.

Seagate has various utilities. I suggest using the Sea Tools for DOS utility to test any hard drive, rather than the Sea Tools for Windows utility.

Louis

#4 andregmac

andregmac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 06:34 PM

Thanks for the quick reply...

Let me clarify a couple of things...

I now have a computer with just a video card and the one gig of memory in it. When I start the computer, the BIOS doesn't recognize my Athlon XP processor as a 2400, but as an 1800. If I press "delete" and get into setup, I can't stay long for the computer will restart. The other night, I would go into setup, touch one key and the computer would restart. It's as if the BIOS doesn't want me to change its settings.

As far as the Seagate disc utility CD, I can get it to load, hit DiskWizard and it will load the files into memory,but the program will either not run and go directly to the end screen or send out a string of error messages.

Same with the XP install CD. It will get to the checking hardware configuration splash screen, and then immediately restart. That's why I was wondering if the cd-rom is screwing with things and I need a new one, or is this something else?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users