Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: Media Hub Desktop

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 DashEleven

DashEleven

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:07 PM

Finally entered the "real world" last year after finishing school, and have gone as far as I can with my hp notebook as my sole PC. I'm looking at buying a new desktop in the near future (or building one if it comes down to it)

My budget for the new computer is:
Between $1000 and $1500 (receive occasional Sony/HP/Dell discounts through work)
What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?
HD Video playback/editing, Blu-ray playback, photo editing, web browsing, music playback/editing, secondary TV viewing, casual gaming
What software do you intend on using on the computer?
Photoshop CS3, Media Player, iTunes, MS Office applications, various video/audio editing software
Do you play games? If so, what type of games?
Rarely; the occasional RTS or PC-only game (console gamer mostly).
Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?
2 or 3 active at the most (ex. listening to music while web browsing or downloading a large batch of files, converting audio/video files while checking mail; editing in Photoshop while torrenting, etc.)
Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?
Yes; currently several hundred GB of music, photos, and video files

I'm somewhat intrigued by the all-in-one desktops (iMac and Sony Vaio LV series) since I would have limited desk space for a traditional case. On the other hand, I'm concerned about having all the parts in one component, with limited upgrade capability in the future (and iMacs don't offer Blu-ray support).

Any thoughts are appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users