Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer slow after being idle overnight

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 yodaz

yodaz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 10:43 PM

Any time I leave my computer to idle for a long period of time (a few hours or overnight), it fails to react for a good period of time and is slow for the first 15-30 minutes of use. The start up is relatively slow as well, but i'm pretty sure that's due to needing to clean up/remove some of the start up programs and i believe is unrelated. The computer is about 6 years old and has had little to no problems, this has been going on for about a year now. I use spybot, AVG, and CCcleaner, so i don't think its spyware/malware and I have plenty of memory as well (i use less than half), so i doubt that it has anything to do with it either. Any ideas?

Edited by yodaz, 18 June 2009 - 12:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 12:05 AM

Do you mean the computer goes into "hibernation" & is slow to come out of it ?

Right click anywhere on the desktop there isn't a icon
On the menu that appears click on Properties
Click on the Screen Saver tab
Where it says Waiot set it to how long you want the unit to be idle before the screen saver comes on.

At the bottom click on Power

Set Turn off Monitor to after the ecreen saver comes on
Set Turn off hard disks to after the monitor goes off
Set System standby to Never

Example: I have mine set to,
Monitor comes on in 5 minutes
Monitor goes off in 10 minutes
hard drives go off in 15 minutes
My unit has been on almost 24/7 constantly with those settings

Click on the Hibernate tab
If there is a checkmard in the box by Enable Hibernation click the box to remove the checkmard.

Click Apply
Click OK

Do a cleanup & defrag

Your unit should come back up & be fully usable pretty quick
[Unless there is another issue]
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 yodaz

yodaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 12:25 AM

Essentially yes, it goes into hibernation mode and when i turn the computer back on (usually moving the mouse) its extremely slow for the first 15-30 minutes, taking abnormal long periods of time to respond to simple actions.

I'd rather not turn off the hard drive except for when i shut down the computer, my father sometimes needs to leave things running when he is away from the computer. I just "unclicked" the enable hibernation box, but I was always under the impression that having computers hibernate when you weren't using them was a good thing? Not using as much power and whatnot?

Edited by yodaz, 18 June 2009 - 12:30 AM.

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:38 AM

I have my HD set to turn off & the unit is usable almost as soon as I move the mouse.

I don't see the point of "Hibernation" .
If I'm going to go long enough without using my computer to worry about how much power it's using I'll just turn it off.

I figure with the monitor & HD off while it's at a idle it isn't using much power.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 Alex_Computer

Alex_Computer

• Banned
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:21 PM

Just to totally rule out malware, please run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. You can download it from here: http://www.malwarebytes.org. Please run a quick scan and post back it's log. That way we can totally rule out malware.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:51 PM

Is the hard drive six years old?? If so I would back up your files and get a new one six years is a long time. I do a swap every two years, drives are cheap lost data is irreplaceable! I
Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 yodaz

yodaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:56 PM

Yes, the hard drive is six years old as well. If i was going to get a new hard drive i'd just buy a new computer, but I'm trying to squeeze as much life out of this as possible and except for this problem its running fine, the files are all backed up already as well.

My father prefers to let the computer hibernate instead of shutting it off since it takes awhile to start running normally after start up, were planning on buying a registry cleaner within the next few days to deal with that. We turn the computer off once or twice a week. Any suggestions for which registry cleaner to buy?

Also, any other ideas on what the problem could be? (will be posting the log file later, its still running)

#8 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 05:35 AM

BC does not recommend registry cleaners. They do more harm than good and are a waste of money.

#9 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 08:20 AM

IMHO if you the start up list at the top or bottom of the page you are looking at now on B/C you can speed up your boot up time. Then turning your computer off and on might make your father happy.

#10 yodaz

yodaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:08 PM

will look into the startup thing tomorrow. I caught helpsvc.exe running at 40+ cpu when i came off of hibernation today though, i have a feeling that might be it after reading this: http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26557

Have no idea how to do what they were talking about though/didn't understand most of it.

#11 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:25 PM

Other people seem to have solved the problem with helpsvc.exe by just setting Help and Support to manual.

To do this go to

Start> Run> then type, services.msc, then click OK.

Scroll down to Help and Support and double click it.

In the Startup type, on the dropdown list, select manual.

If it shows on the services status as running select the Stop button. Then Apply and OK.

I would do that and see if it makes any difference on the speed issue.

Btw, does there seem to be any Windows updates taking place before this happens? According to the article you linked to, that seems to be one of the causes of this happening

Edited by Stang777, 21 June 2009 - 07:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users