Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Network adapters experiencing hardware issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dborns

Dborns

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 10:01 PM

I have an HP laptop running windows vista that has an intermittent problem with the wireless network adapter. I had no problem getting on the internet until I started cleaning up my computer and deleting unused programs. I had Comodo Firewall installed along time ago and ran into problems so I uninstalled it or so I thought. I noticed my computer showed that two firewalls were running, ZoneAlarm and Comodo. I uninstalled quite a few things, so I'm not 100% sure how I did it but I think I went through msconfig and deleted anything with Comodo, (I know thats not the best way to do it but Comodo doesn't show up anywhere in my installed programs list. When I restarted my computer, I had the red "X" on the lower right and I'm unable to connect to the net. I did a system restore and that fixed it. I continued on uninstalling old programs and when the computer came back on I had the same problem. Now I can't go back any farther on my system restore. The earliest one is Undo Restore from the above point. Uninstalling the programs my not have anything to do with the problem because I also had windows updates going on at the time. One of the updates is "Intel driver update for intel wireless 3945abg network connection. That update will not install and keeps failing. When I diagnose the connection problem, I get a box that shows three suggestions. One is the internt protocol bindings, and I remember from a past problem that that didn't help. The other is "The network adapter "Intel® Pro/ 100 VE Network Connection" is experiencing driver or hardware related issues. There was also another selection that read "Intel® Pro/ Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection" is experiencing.... When I go to my Device Manager I find 10 items under Network Adapters:
6to4 adapter
Intel pro/100 ve network connection - comodo firewall miniport
" pro/ wireless 3945abg network connection - comodo firewall miniport
isatap{00000000000000000000}
isatap {00000000000000000000}
isatap {00000000000000000000}
wan miniport IP - comodo firewall miniport
wan miniport ipv6 - comodo firewall minport
All of the items above have a yellow triangle with an exclamation point in them.
The other items under Network adapters are:
intel r pro/100 ve network connection
" /wireless 3945abg network connection
This has happened in the past but I can't remember what I did to fix it. I don't even know if its a problem with the comodo firewall, but due to the fact that I deleted parts of it and it started after that, I'm hoping thats it. So my question is how do I repair the driver so I can connect to the internet, and how do I get rid of comodo completely? My laptop does run pretty slow, and I'm wondering if it has been running two firewalls like the security center shows. I can connect it to a modem with an ethernet cord when I get home in the morning and go from there. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:10 AM

Just an update to what I have done since posting the first question. I hooked my laptop up to an ethernet cord connected to my home modem. I still had the red "X" and no connection. On my desktop, I downloaded the Broadcom driver from HP's website onto a thumb drive and tried to install it on the laptop. It showed that the program was already installed on it but I went ahead and did it anyway. A box then came up stating the program didn't install right so I tried it again with the same results. I still have no connection.
Now I don't know if the problem is from Comodo like I talked about in the previous post if it was a problem with the Windows Updates that did not install. I know I've had problems in the past when some updates have come in. So now both network adapters won't work. Any ideas???

#3 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:40 AM

My suggestion would be to start off with resetting TCP/IP and your Winsock.

Reset TCP/IP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

Reset Winsock: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259

Once you have done these once again look in your device manager and check for the "Yellow Exclamation Points" If they are still there let us know and we can help you with this also.

Good Luck,

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#4 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:15 AM

I tried resetting the items you asked and it didn't change. I still have no connection. The items in the device manager still show a yellow triangle. The only two that don't show a triangle are:
intel ® pro/100 ve network connection
" / wireless 3945abg network connection
When I click on properties of these two, it shows they are working correctly.
This has happened in the past but I don't remember how I fixed it. Do you think it has anything to do with the Comodo firewall problem or the Windows updates? Everything works except the hardware for connecting to the net. I thought in the past I've used my Windows recovery disc. I put that in and I have the options of using a restore point, (the only ones are after the problems started so that doesn't help), or system recovery. I'm pretty sure that when this happened before, I used the system recovery, but it shows that all files/ programs added after I bought it will be deleted. I don't remember that happening but I've put quite a few programs on it, Microsoft Office and other programs I no longer have discs for, so I don't want to lose those. Does system recovery actually erase those programs and am I even at that point yet?

Edited by Dborns, 18 June 2009 - 01:28 PM.

#5 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 10:05 AM

After playing with my laptop for a few days, I decided to uninstall/ reinstall the network drivers and it worked! Problem solved. I hope.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users