Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound On Internet

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jake422

Jake422

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 09:37 PM

I recently finished going through malware removal through the malware forum on this site. After that everything seemed to be working fine. I came back to my computer later in the day, and found that I don't have any sound from the internet. My Windows Media Player works fine, so I know it isn't my speakers. Videos on Youtube will play, but with no sound. Also, music on myspace will show up (the playlist) but the songs won't play or produce sound. I can't get sound through either Firefox or Internet Explorer. I seem to have the same issues with both. I tried reinstalling Adobe Flash and I checked all my sound settings through the control panel. I also reinstalled Firefox, and restarted my computer. Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sarahaw

Sarahaw

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 19 June 2009 - 05:25 PM

Jake422,
I'm having the exact same problem. Got the problem a different way but I have no sound on the internet. Did you get an answer to your question?

Sarah

#3 tortured

tortured

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:27 PM

Same thing happened to me when I was making some setting changes when I attached some speakers to my son's new laptop. (He has Vista). I was running an internet radio at the time and I got a message saying that the changes could cause the application that was currently accessing the audio may not continue to work. I thought it meant "just" that particular webpage running the radio app. and just at that time. I thought "I don't care at the moment and thought I could just re-open it and it would work OK afterward. Well, it didn't; and nothing else on the internet had sound either. (Everything else did though). I don't have the laptop to refresh my memory on what exactly I did, but I changed it back and everything was back to normal. Maybe your settings inadvertantly got changed, so all I can offer now is to check everything regarding the sound card, drivers, etc. Sorry not more help at the moment.

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:45 PM

Look in "internet options" and click on the advanced tab. Slide down till you see "Multimedia". There is a box that should be checked that says "Play sounds in webpages". This should be checked.

Hope this helps,

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#5 Jake422

Jake422
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:50 PM

Thanks tortured and techextreme. The "play sounds in webpages" was already checked and I checked my sound settings and sound card drivers, and all is well there too. I appreciate your advice though.

#6 Sarahaw

Sarahaw

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:00 PM

I checked and mine was set correctly as well. Its video clips. Went to a webpage for the Skywalk in Navada and the site had sound. played fine. If you go to CBS and try to watch a episode, no sound.

#7 Jake422

Jake422
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:27 PM

WOOHOO!! I fixed it! Here's a link to a site with 10 fixes.

http://www.codecguide.com/fix_for_flash_sound_problems.htm

What ended up working for me was K-Lite Codec Tweak Tool option. Every time I tried to check the option to fix the sound (Midi, WaveOut), I would get an error that said

"Error creating registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32

REGCREATEKEYEX Failed; Code 5
Access is Denied"

So I went to Start -> Run and typed in Regedit.exe, and I found this folder. I right clicked on and went to permissions, and I went through and allowed everyone to access it. Even through the advanced tab. I pretty much checked every allow box that i could find. So I went back to run the K-Lite Codec Tweak Tool, and the option to fix the sound (Midi, WaveOut) was greyed out. So I went to Youtube and it was working again. I hope this helps! Good Luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users