Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need a laptop for college

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 UKTone

UKTone

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 06:14 PM

I am going into college for game design and web design so I want everything about my laptop to be top notch so I won't need another until maybe 5 years or so. And to be made this year if possible, if not then last year would be fine i guess as long as it'll be somewhat up to par with other laptops coming out. Also would like to have built in wireless or at least a port for the card or if it's risk free to put it into the laptop somehow.

I don't know what to look for in a laptop though, like what the best processors are, what SSE 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 are, i don't know how to expand my ram or memory (my brother told me i could easily mess up my laptop if i tried to replace my harddrive with an electric shock), what graphics are best, etc.

Also people say linux sucks, and some say mac is better than windows, I think windows is better, but can't really say that since i only used mac in school in 7th grade, but now I see it only takes up 2gb of space and windows xp doesn't take up much more without it's add ons though. Mac doesn't need virus protection which really only would save me 63.26 mb of space with Avira Anitvir Personal Free Antivirus and there are a lot of programs that won't work for mac so I think windows will probably still be best for me for my technical fields.

And when will new sse, processors, and graphics be out? It'd be cool if I could have something when it just came out so i wouldn't be kind of upset since i just would have got one and now something new is out.

Please give me some advice, tips, help, etc.

Edited by UKTone, 17 June 2009 - 06:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 06:50 PM

Just my opinion:
Saying Mac or Linux doesn't need virus protection is fast becoming a misconception. Windows is beginning to loose some of the market to these two and with that, hacker punks are beginning to target both of these operating systems. For example, when Mozilla first released Firefox, there were very few punks writing code to attack a computer thru it because it was such a small portion of the market. However, Firefox popularity has grown and the punks are exploiting holes in Firefox just as much as they are Internet Explorer. So, I'd say stay with what you are comfortable with and stick with Windows.
As far as processing power, memory, and hard drive size, you'll want to go with a dual core cpu or better, with at least 2GB of ram, and probably a 160GB to 250GB hard drive size.

If you're one of those people that has to have the newest and greatest, then prepare to spend $2000 or more for this laptop. If you're not one of those types, then I'd look for newer refurbished laptops. You could find lots of Intel Core 2 Duo laptops with 2 to 4GB of ram and 160 to 320GB hard drives for under $750. TigerDirect.com is a good place to shop, but there are tons of sites that equal Tiger. However, if you look at one with 4gb of ram or more, be sure to check the version of Windows that it comes with (ie. 32-bit or 64-bit). I think 64 bit is up and coming but there are lots of software out there that you may end up using that won't work with a 64 bit operating system. I'd stick with 32-bit until the 64-bit machines become more mainstream.

Wireless is pretty much built in to all laptops made in the last 4 or 5 years. You should probably try to find one with a wireless-n adapter, but a wireless-g would serve your purposes with no problems.

Edited by possumbarnes, 17 June 2009 - 06:52 PM.

What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users