Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

virus but can't install antivirus software

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Adele

Adele

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 03 July 2005 - 01:12 PM

bit of a problem going on here ... have been getting black screen on desktop at startup referring to C:\windows\system32\wkssvc32.exe. found in your stuff that this is a virus and not being picked up by Norton. not on symantec site and so decided to unintall norton and go with the recommended avg.

can't install avg (pro or free). error is "local machine installation failed. Initialization: warning: Windows firewall activity checking failed. There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper (1753). Error: Action failed for directory System: creating directory ...The system cannot find the file specified. (2) %PATH% = C:\\Windows\system.

this means nothing to me and have been unable to get a response from avg for the past five days.

more than a little nervous as now have no antivirus software as norton is stalling on installing.

bit of a novice, you may have gathered.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 03 July 2005 - 01:57 PM

I think your safest way to proceed is to download the latest version of 'HijackThis' (v1.99) from here: http://www.pcw.co.uk/vnunet/downloads/2129060/hijackthis
You'll receive it as a zip-file, extract it's contents (one file called 'hijackthis.exe') and put it in a new folder on it's own - call the new folder HJT or something like that. No need to install HijackThis, just double-click the 'hijackthis.exe' file inside the folder you made for it.
A box will open - click the first option - "Do A Scan And Save A Logfile". The logfile will list absolutely everything - both good and bad - that's running on your PC. Post the log-file on the Security section of the forums - 'HijackThis Logs and Analysis'. Don't attempt to fix things yourself with HJT, as I said, it detects everything both good and bad - and you might remove a critical system file. Someone on the forum will read your log file and give you advice.

Edited by pip22, 03 July 2005 - 02:00 PM.

#3 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 03 July 2005 - 02:13 PM

right i am going to tell you how to get past your windows firewall so that you can install another antivirus. write this down as you do it because you will do the reververse to switch it back on.

go to START CONTROL PANEL, CLICK YOU WILL SEE A SETTING FOR Security setting click that and you should see windows firewall, click on windows firewall and you will see a list in front of you with firewall on then another then firewall off click on the off click apply and ok.

You should now be able to install the antivirus program you want to install, do update for the antivirus as well the reset your firewall and you should now find your new antivirus will be enable and you are protected once again.

Keep us informed.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#4 Adele

Adele
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 03:18 PM

well, sadly, not much joy there ...
(i) extracted and tried to run HijackThis. programme won't launch - just a very quick flash which i captured on screen dump - the HijackThis warning message about deleting files. didn't get the first box asking for "Do a Scan".

(ii) turned windows firewall off but still can't install av.

boo-blimmin-hoo

#5 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 03:32 PM

ok then it looks like a complete reinstall of windows, if you have windows disk and no one that came with pc then a complete reinstall is on? let me no what you have. because if you cant install an antivirus then it means that the virus you have got is bads.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#6 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 03:34 PM

if you want to e-mail me privately look on my profile or if not there then i will add it later

#7 Adele

Adele
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 05:08 PM

oh dear, was hoping it wasn't going to come to that. i have got installation discs so will set to ... thanks for advice.

#8 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 05:13 PM

keep us informed if you get stuck shout

best of luck do not rush it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users