Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Programing Languages To Learn To Make A Website?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 website

website

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 06:10 PM

Can someone please tell me ALL the languages i should learn in order to make good websites and forums? Thank you.

Edited by website, 17 June 2009 - 06:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 06:18 PM

You probably should start with HTML.

Note: HTML is not a programming language as such.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 nixx

nixx

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:56 PM

php, c#, vb?

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 09:09 PM

HTML is not a programming language as such

It is not a programming language at all. :thumbsup:

You will need to learn HTML at a minimum. CSS makes your HTML pages pretty. Javascript adds functionality. PHP, ASP, and JSP make for dynamic pages.

That's just for starters.

#5 website

website
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:34 PM

I have the latest versions of Firefox and IE but when i want to test the css script it will not show properly. i used note pad and saved it as a htm file

--here is script---
<html>
<head>
<style>
div.box {width: 300px; height: 200px; padding: 30px;
font: 46pt times new roman;}
</style>
</head>
<body>
<div class="box" style=" filter:
progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Alpha
(Opacity=100,
FinishOpacity=0, Style=1, StartX=0, FinishX=0, StartY=0,
FinishY=100)">
Hey...you can modify opacity.</div>
</body>
</html>

Edited by website, 18 June 2009 - 10:39 PM.

#6 rohnert77

rohnert77

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:25 PM

Can someone please tell me ALL the languages i should learn in order to make good websites and forums? Thank you.

This is what I will do.
Learn some basic HTML (not a programming language as mentioned in above replies)

If your sole purpose is to create a personal blog and forum, learning programming is not necessary as there are several precoded applications like wordpress.org / typepad and forum applications like vbulletin. These require minimal programming knowledge.

Say, you still need to learn programming, I personally prefer PHP / MySql way as it is more popular for personal sites and blogs. Buy a book like learn PHP in 7 days and then learn as you go. Programming techniques take time to learn, but it is not that difficult.

--------------------------
submit articles

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:38 AM

1. You have no doctype declaration. Try adding this at the top:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

2. That is not a script.

3. It will not work in Firefox because the filters are native to IE.

#8 website

website
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:29 PM

Ok so im getting down html and CSS, after i learn those is there any better way to make like a fake website to test out if im doing everything correctly than notepad.

#9 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 10:09 PM

Notepad should be fine, but if you are interested in using another program to crete websites, drop by this post.

Also when posting please put code between [code ] ... [/code ] tags.

Dont expect to master HTML and CSS just by creating a few simple webpages, it takes time (not trying to discourage you). Try reading a few more tutorials such as the one at www.w3schools.com (HTML, CSS)

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#10 rkirk

rkirk

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:32 AM

Before working with PHP, Javascript, or any other language that creates dynamic web content, it's best to learn the ins and outs of CSS and HTML completely and correctly.
And, while I'd recommend using Bluefish over Notepad++, both are excellent text editors that offer tools which make editing HTML and CSS easier. After someone's got a good grasp of these two markup languages, PHP's the most important programming language for web-development. Definitely more important than a language such as Javascript, especially when you consider that a sizable portion of people browse the Internet with Javascript turned off by default.

#11 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:58 AM

especially when you consider that a sizable portion of people browse the Internet with Javascript turned off by default.

Oh? And how do you arrive at that fact? As far as I know, IE, Firefox, and Safari have Javascript enabled by default. I don't know about Chrome or Opera. According to the stats on my server and other servers that I administer, well over 90% of users have Javascript enabled, so my experience is nowhere close to yours. Of course, one could argue that I may be in a niche demographic, but based on this, I would say that my experience pretty much matches what is seen in the real world.

PHP's the most important programming language for web-development. Definitely more important than a language such as Javascript

You really can't say that either because you are talking about two different things. Javascript is a client side scripting language; PHP is a server-side language. PHP can not do anything to provide dynamic content in the user's browser. Most important? In this context, that makes no sense. Useful, yes. Heavily favored by some people, yes. :thumbsup:

#12 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:20 PM

Before working with PHP, Javascript, or any other language that creates dynamic web content.

Where was it mentioned that the OP wants to create dynamic content?

PHP's the most important programming language for web-development.

I have to agree with groovicus, PHP is not the most important programming language, sure it is used by a lot of web designers, but it is not the most important. It also depends on what you type of website you are creating, maybe you could get by with HTML and javascript. Also what about ASP? Have you even considered it? (i know it's windows based :thumbsup: ) I think you will find there are also a lot of websites using ASP.

Definitely more important than a language such as Javascript, especially when you consider that a sizable portion of people browse the Internet with Javascript turned off by default.

Where do you get you facts from? Do you have any links?

Edited by KamakaZ, 24 June 2009 - 06:21 PM.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#13 JJ2K

JJ2K

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2009 - 07:36 AM

I think even the most basic of websites could use PHP even if it's just a simple include statement here or there.

As for JS I think it's great to use to add functionality to a website, but ensure that viewers can still use the site without JS. So the users with JS are getting what the users without JS are getting but with added functionality and coolness.

#14 website

website
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 10:41 PM

I am just trying to learn everything there is to learn about making websites.

#15 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 10:51 PM

What exactly is it that your hoping to accomplish?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users