Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Things that can and can not be accomplished with a regedit

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 03:21 PM

At my office, when we install a PC, it's used by almost everyone on the floor. Realistically, we can't sit there and have 150 people log in while we watch and then set it up. IT has better things to do, and our reps should be serving members. So... I'm hoping we can save some time.

I'd like to set up a registry edit that the logon script can run and do automatically. But I'm not really familiar with writing or building these things, so I'm hoping someone can tell me if these things are even possible. Can anyone give me a quick once-over and let me know if these settings can be automatically set, please?

SET DEFAULT PRINTER
In each department, we have at least three printers. Every workstation has a POS printer, so we have a receipt for our guests. But we also have networkprinterA and networkprinterB, each of which prints a different form for a different purpose. What we need is for everyone who logs onto computers 1-4 (for example), that computer needs to set that user to networkprinterA for the default.

SET DEFAULT SAVE LOCATION FOR OFFICE
Tools > Options > File Locations > Modify > [select user's network drive]

MS OUTLOOK
Every time a user logs into a computer for the first time after an install, they have to go through a procedure of selecting "exchange server" and then typing the server name in, checking/unchecking the archive mode, checking their user name, and finally getting to open their e-mail box. Despite providing instruction to our users, we still get calls that end up being someone typed the server name wrong, or they checked the wrong box/radio button.

A fix that would just let them double-click Outlook and they never even see that happen again would save SO much time for the IT department.

Also, just for everyone's peace of mind, having Tools > Options > Spelling > Always Check Spelling Before Sending set would make things just a little more sane, too, since this is all just one big wish list...

TIA, guys!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users