Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Making the switch from XP to Linux

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KRose

KRose

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 02:52 PM

Hello out there! I want to switch from XP to Linux.
My reasons are
-it seems to be more secure from malware (although I will still run Avast, Comodo and SuperAntiSpyware)
-change of scene!
-seems more modifiable to what I need
-might take up less power (thought this comp seems capable of lasting at least 5 hours with me running heavy apps)

I'm using an EEE PC netbook (with about 70G on two drives, but no CD drive), so I'm going to go for Ubuntu Netbook Remix (a friend reccommended Ubuntu in general, but I find screenshots looking like XP and would like a change)
Actually I'd like to use Fedora, if this is what its capable of looking like: http://whyoh.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/p...-eee-screen.png.

Will I lose the existing mp3s/pictures/programs? Can I do a dual boot with a USB? I'd like to be able to play the Sims (which I do on XP with daemon tools and iso files)
I am completely new to Linux. I can't even remember the last time I saw it on a computer. But it sounds exciting nonetheless...is it a good idea to start with UNR and then experiment in the future? What programs might I have to say goodbye to? How much can I change?

Remember I'm a n00b, so laugh, but explain!

*edited because I hit submit too soon*

Edited by KRose, 17 June 2009 - 03:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:04 PM

Hello out there! I want to switch from XP to Linux.

I'm sure I can help you with that. :thumbsup:

-it seems to be more secure from malware (although I will still run Avast, Comodo and SuperAntiSpyware)

Correct. One of the reasons for this is that you have to explicitly give permission to programs that need access to system files. Antimalware programs aren't needed unless you're going to be moving files between a Linux machine and a Windows machine.

-change of scene!

Agreed, seeing the Windows desktop can get boring after a while.

-seems more modifiable to what I need

I'm not experienced in modifying Linux, but even so, it is more modifiable the Windows from what I've seen.

-might take up less power (thought this comp seems capable of lasting at least 5 hours with me running heavy apps)

Compared to Windows, the system requirements are initially higher, but Windows' system requirements tend to increase after you add more programs. This is not a problem with Linux (from my experience)

I'm using an EEE PC netbook (with about 70G on two drives, but no CD drive), so I'm going to go for Ubuntu Netbook Remix (a friend reccommended Ubuntu in general, but I find screenshots looking like XP and would like a change)

I recommend Ubuntu as well, but that's not really fair since I haven't actually fully tested the other distros.

Actually I'd like to use Fedora, if this is what its capable of looking like: http://whyoh.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/p...-eee-screen.png.

Most distros are capable of looking like that. What you're seeing in the screenshot is a custom theme with widgets. Here's what Fedora looks like by default: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fedora_(operating_system)

Will I lose the existing mp3s/pictures/programs?

Most distros will resize your Windows partition in order to preserve your files. To ensure your data is not lost, I would recommend defragging your drive several times.

With Ubuntu, you there is a program called Wubi, which installs Ubuntu as an application. This eliminates the need to repartition or format your hard drive. I do not know if Fedora or other distros have a similar application/feature.

If you do have a spare partition, however, you can play all your media on Linux. As for your programs, you'll have to either find out if that program is officially available for Linux, use Wine or find an alternative.

Can I do a dual boot with a USB?

You might want to look at these links:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-ubuntu-90...nstall-windows/
http://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-...-904-usb-drive/
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7353663
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo

I'd like to be able to play the Sims (which I do on XP with daemon tools and iso files)

According to this, (or more specifically this) the Sims works under Wine with some minor issues.

Continued in next post, due to quote limits...

Edited by MadDawg, 19 June 2009 - 01:00 AM.

A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:06 PM

...continued from my last post

Is it a good idea to start with UNR and then experiment in the future?

That's a good question. It mostly depends on the system requirements of the distros you want to use.

What programs might I have to say goodbye to?

Another good question. Wine might be able to run most of the programs not listed in the Linux Alternatives. The main programs to worry about are screen recorders and games.

How much can I change?

What do you mean by this, exactly?

Edited by MadDawg, 18 June 2009 - 01:06 PM.

#4 KRose

KRose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 22 June 2009 - 03:10 PM

Thanks for that reply!

By how much can i change, I meant...I can't even remember, haha!

I think I meant how much I could change appearance-wise. But it seems, after reading your replies that I can do a lot and get downloads to do what I want. I guess I'd like to be able to really change up the appearance and be able to do this from ideas in my head rather than something someone else made, but I don't have the abilities, methinks...not yet anyways. Besides, I think I could easy be satisfied at least temporarily if I could get what I've seen from some screenshots.

I think I'm going to be using the drive instead of the USB drive...My own usb key crashes every now and then. I think the HD will be less problematic. I like the idea of Wubi, but I think it would be stabler on a HD as well. Maybe I'll try to use it via USB on other computers

Okay. I'm going to thoroughly read those links. I think I'll install UNR while in a computer lab so I can research things or ask here if I get confused/have problems.
Thanks again!

#5 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:22 PM

No problem. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users