Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC startup is slow,Malware free.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Trevrev

Trevrev

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 12:36 PM

Hello everyone, Just been through "disinfection" of my PC with the wonderful Boopme, so i know its clean.
The other problem i have now is slow startup, and when i first open my internet browser that takes about 2 minutes.
When the browser is open it all goes well.
Any help to sort out this little problem would be very welcome.......
Thanks............Trevrev. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 02:13 PM

Take a look at this: Slow Computer?

#3 Trevrev

Trevrev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2009 - 04:01 PM

Thanks for the reply, I think my problem is startup programs. I try to defrag once a week......Just cleaned up my PC with the help of Boopme.
Cleaning up my startup scares me a little as i don't know where to start. If that makes sense.......LOL

Trevrev...

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 04:21 PM

For startups, you can start (pun intended) with Windows Startup Programs Database, BC - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/85/windows-startup-programs-database/

Between that and Google, it's easy to find out what any item might be.

And...you can use this tool to disable, delete, enable startups: AutoRuns for Windows - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

If you use Autoruns...please only look at the items reflected on the Logon tab of the program. The various other tabs list items that are "startups" in the very broad context of the expression, but a user generally does not need to concern himself with those items unless troubleshooting other issues on the system.

If you are unsure of an item, just disable it (remove the check mark) rather than delete it. Removing any item does not remove that program, but it does prevent that program running unnecessarily at boot.

Louis

#5 Alex_Computer

Alex_Computer

• Banned
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:27 PM

You can also try Startup Lite from the Malwarebytes company. You can find it here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/startuplite.php . It does not require an install or anything of that nature.

#6 Trevrev

Trevrev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 07:18 AM

Thanks for your replies guys, i'll be onto that when i'm home from work. :thumbsup:

#7 Trevrev

Trevrev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 03:04 PM

This start up thing is a minefield !!!
If only my internet browser would open quicker then i'd be a happy man ............ :thumbsup:

#8 JJ2K

JJ2K

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 03:19 PM

Do you use any add-ons with IE, if so try disabling these and see if it has any effect.

If you claim your system is infection-free, then the only things that could be really delaying the opening of Internet Explorer imo would be Add-Ons / Toolbars or any other software which directly tries to mainpulate Internet Explorer.

#9 Alex_Computer

Alex_Computer

• Banned
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 03:19 PM

After removing all of those startup items, was there a difference at all?

#10 Trevrev

Trevrev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 01:54 AM

To be honest guys, The startup isn't too bad now. My main bug bear right now is my browser.
I use Firefox by the way. Although IE7 takes it's time opening aswell. Add ons or no add ons.
Once they're open i'm flying.
Maybe i'll just have to live with it !!!!
I've got rid of all the tool bars ages ago.
I'm on a mission to rid my PC of unwanted crap.

Trev.... :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users