Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is This Possible

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JXBlack

JXBlack

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:37 AM

I have one program that was written for Linux (Ubuntu) which I can't get operating in WinXP.

#1 Can I set up Ubuntu in a virtual machine in WinXP?
#2 This program is a Bit Torrent client. Can I run this program 24/7 in the background while carrying on my regular activities in WinXP or must I close the program when I want to do something in WinXP?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,833 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 12:31 PM

I can answer part of your query.

You cannot run a program written for a linux O/S...in a Microsoft operating system. You need a version of that program which is designed to run in Windows.

There are plenty of bit torrent clients that run in Windows.

You can install these programs and run them as long as you like, provided the system is on. The net impact on other programs running is that it will reduce (in a minor manner) the amount of system resources which any one program will command.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users