Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown Disk msg upon reinstalling XP

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 abanks

abanks

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:28 AM

After doing a hijack this log, it was determined that I needed to reinstall Windows XP. When I try to reinstall XP it keeps getting me to the screen that lets you select a disk drive/partition. Well I don't have anything listed. My box just says Unknown Disk (There is no disk in this drive.) I can't go any futher...what do I do next?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2009 - 01:13 PM

Are you trying to do a clean install (where all previous data on the boot partition is removed) or a repair install?

Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

Differences between a Quick format and a regular format during a clean installation of Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302686

XP Clean Install, Stevens - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Windows XP Professional Repair install from CD - http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxppro/i...dexfullpage.htm

Louis

#3 abanks

abanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2009 - 01:44 PM

Thanks for the reply. I was told I needed to do a clean install. I have been able to start booting using the CD. It's just that I am stuck because I don't have any drives or partitions showing to choose to install XP on. I have went into the setup...it's just that don't really know what to do in order to add a drive to that area. I need the dialog box to say something other than there is no disk in this drive. I need it to give me a partition or drive to be able to install XP.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2009 - 03:53 PM

In that case...first check the BIOS to see if it reflects your hard drive.

Suggestion: Temporarily remove all secondary hard drives, flash drives, external drives, etc. Leave 1 optical drive properly connected.

Let us know if the BIOS correctly sees the hard drive you are using.

System manufacturer and model?

Are you using a Microsoft XP CD to attempt this install...or are you using disks furnished by the manufacturer of the system?

Louis

#5 abanks

abanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2009 - 05:59 PM

Western Digital WD2500JD-75HBB0 is the hard drive shown on the BIOS drives listing. I am using the Microsoft XP CD that came with the computer. I don't think I have a recovery disk from the manufacturer. I have disabled all of the other drives listed with the exception of the hard drive and the cd-rom drive. I am trying to boot from the cd.

#6 abanks

abanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2009 - 06:05 PM

I also ran the hard drive diagnostics and it shows that it passed, so I guess it is working.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:34 PM

What "hard drive diagnostics" would that be?

You didn't answer my question about the drive...is the drive listed...the drive that is installed?

System manufacturer and model, please?

That drive is listed as being a SATA drive, which may require drivers to be installed before XP can be installed. I say "may" because there are some systems that don't require SATA drivers by virtue of BIOS settings that "trick" the system and XP into thinking that the drive is a PATA drive.

If that's the case (you need to install SATA drivers), the message you receive would make sense...XP cannot see the drive without SATA drivers being installed as part of the install process.

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_...ows_xp_on_a.htm

Louis

#8 abanks

abanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 12:11 PM

Western Digital WD2500JD-75HBB0 is the hard drive shown on the BIOS drives listing

I have tried to do the steps listed on the website...my problem is that I can not get to the Internet to download the files directly to the computer with the problem. I have tried to download them to a flashdrive or cd to see if I could copy and paste the data to the correct place, but my computer will not allow me to copy, cut, move, or anything else. I can't do anything to get the information to where it needs to be.

#9 abanks

abanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 08:14 PM

ok...I have finally gotten the partitions to show. I got windows to install...I had to change the setting in the BIOS from SATA to PATA combination to get it to show.

The problem I am having now is that my copy of windows xp will not activate. I can not get it to show me an installation id number....therefore I can not activate it and it will not completely open to the desktop. I can only get to the log-on screen without activating it.

What do I do now? I have contacted Microsoft & they checked the product key and said it was valid. Told me to call Dell and I did that...they said that the problem lies with Microsoft. I just don't know where to go from here.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:59 AM

Well...if you can't get to the activation wizard, your best best is to do a clean install...and then activate it (via the wizard) over the phone.

I've had your situation occur once to me...when I tried to use the wrong license key (I have several systems/keys) on the wrong system. My only recourse was to do what I stated...and this time, I used the right key.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users