Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mac and Windows File Sharing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 eagle5327

eagle5327

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:26 AM

I just bought a MacBook running Leopard 10.5.7 and cannot get it to see or access the shared folders on my two existing PCs, and vice versa.

Router is D-Link is model DIR-655. Internet service to all three computers, wired or wired, works just fine. D-Link tech assistance swears their router is properly configured and is not impeding file sharing.

The two PCs can easily access shared files on each other, but neither can share files with the Mac. Both PCs can ping the Mac.

The MacBook cannot see or access shared files on either of the PCs. The Mac cannot ping the PCs. Apple Tech Assistance swears the Mac is properly set up and configured for file sharing.

One PC runs XP, the other Vista. Sharing of files and printers is turned on and the proper files have been shared. Both PCs use Windows firewall only; no third party firewall is used. Bonjour is authorized as an exception on the Windows firewall checklist, although some other inscrutable items are unchecked. Anti-virus is Trend Micro PC-illin.

Anybody know any way to get the Mac and PCs to share files and play nicely in the sandbox? Thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 05:13 PM

Hello,

I found a quick guide at http://lifehacker.com/247541/how-to-access...iles-on-your-pc
Regards,

Alan.

#3 eagle5327

eagle5327
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 21 June 2009 - 09:15 AM

Alan,

Thanks for the article. It helped.

My problem was that the PCs could access the Mac, but the Mac could not detect or access the PCs. The article your referred me to was for people who were having the reverse problem, meaning that the Mac could access the PC but the PC could not access the Mac.

Nonetheless, you set me on the right trail. I found another article with advice going in the reverse direction: http://lifehacker.com/software/mac-os-x/ho...-mac-247148.php

It worked. Turned out to be as simple as going to the Go menu in Finder and then going to the Connect To box. I then typed in the address of one PC and Bingo! The Mac found it. I added the address of the second PC and I was done.

Don't know why the Mac couldn't do this all by itself, just as Windows did. I guess this is a case where Windows is more intuitive and easier to use than Leopard.

Thanks again.

Geoff

#4 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:38 PM

I was scratching my head with the same issues today. Thanks for the answers.

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 26 June 2009 - 02:26 PM

Glad to help. Thanks for letting us know the outcome :thumbsup:
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users