Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video/DVD playback problems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bill Pierce

Bill Pierce

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 10:22 AM

A month ago I assembled a new computer and installed 64-bit Windows 7. So far I have had some typical issues (no Win7 drivers for my inexpensive scanner), an odd problem playing browser-embedded Ogg Vorbis audio content that I documented in another post, and a third problem that is beginning to vex me. So far I seem to be unable to play video DVDs or MPEG video files (I have no problem with Adobe Flash videos). The video begins to play for a fraction of a second, then the screen flashes and goes black for 2-3 seconds. Then it refreshes (with no more video in the window of whatever media player I use) and I get an error message that the display driver stopped responding and has recovered. After that Windows is very unstable and I have to restart the computer.

The same thing occurs if I try to update the Windows Experience Index, which reports that it was unable to run in several different graphics modes.

The computer has an Intel Q6700 2.67 GHz Core 2 Quad CPU, with 8 GB of RAM, and the graphics adapter is an XFX GeForce 9800 GT. I have tried several versions of the NVIDIA 64-bit Windows 7 drivers, including a beta driver released less than two weeks ago and an older driver for the first beta version of Windows 7 prior to the current Release Candidate. NVIDIA technical support says that I have to go through XFX for support. XFX technical support says that they are unable to provide full support for an unreleased operating system such as Windows 7, and recommends that I use Windows Vista or XP until Win7 is officially released and fully supported.

I have trouble believing I'm the only one with this problem, and I'm wondering where to turn now. Frankly, I don't have a legal copy of XP or Vista to install anyway, and I don't want to put another partition on my drive and install all my applications twice. There was a reason I built a new computer and installed Windows 7.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 01:51 PM

Are you trying to play these in Media Center?
Ron S

Windows Outreach Team

Facebook - Twitter - YouTube

#3 Bill Pierce

Bill Pierce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2009 - 03:38 PM

It doesn't matter if it's Media Center or Windows Media Player 12 (or the Windows Experience Index); the results are the same.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 04:16 PM

It isn't clear to me whether or not you have actually tried the Vista drivers?

http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/Help/Support.aspx

#5 Bill Pierce

Bill Pierce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:43 PM

It's a little confusing. Some of the NVIDIA display drivers say they are explicitly for Windows Vista, some say they are for Windows 7, and some mention both operating systems. I had tried various versions for Windows 7 and those that mentioned both Windows 7 and Vista. I had not tried any that did not mention Windows 7. However, at your suggestion I downloaded and installed the 64-bit drivers that mentioned only Vista. They installed without problem, but when I tried to play an MPEG video file (in WMP 12) the screen went black for a few seconds and then I got a BSOD. So I used System Restore to go back to my previous drivers, the latest 64-bit beta version that says it is for both Vista and Windows 7. Now when I try to play an MPEG video I still get the error message that the display driver has stopped responding and recovered, but no more BSOD.

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 09:06 PM

I am pretty sure that it isn't a Windows 7 issue. There is some issue with the drivers. Vista had issues with 64 bit drivers initially also, and it took a while to get them sorted. One thing you could try is to try and run WMP in Vista mode and see if that sorts it out. My thought is that since none of your media players work properly that it has to be the device drivers.

I'm sorry I can't help much more than that, but I am not sure what else to try.

#7 Bill Pierce

Bill Pierce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 04:41 PM

You suggest running WMP in Vista mode. I confess I don't know what "Vista mode" for WMP is, and I couldn't find anything about it. But in my browsing I discovered information about "XP mode" in Windows 7 under Windows Virtual PC, which I downloaded and installed. I have to say it's more than ungainly (basically an entire copy of Windows XP) and it has lots of oddities (for example, you have to install new copies of all applications that run under it, and there is no access to the installed Windows 7 anti-virus and security software). But it does allow you to do things that are currently incompatible with Windows 7. I have no problem playing DVDs or MPEG videos, my part-time work application with the browser-embedded Ogg Vorbis audio content works, and I could install the XP drivers for my inexpensive scanner--all as long as I stay in XP mode (I'm reminded of the "penalty box" from the days of the 80286). So in a sense my problems are solved, although in a manner that beggars normal logic.

Now I'm back to the Windows 7 driver issues, which as you say is very likely the root of my problem. I can wait for a Win7 driver for my scanner, and for whatever it takes to play browser-embedded Ogg Vorbis audio content. But not being able to play DVDs and MPEG videos seems like a glaring error at this point in the life of Windows 7. Is there a way for me to escalate this to someone at NVIDIA, who tells me I must go through XFX for support, and XFX has basically given me the cop-out that they can't provide full support for Windows 7? Or should I raise the red flag with Microsoft, who has infinitely more clout than I do?

I anticipated some anguish for being an early adopter, but this seems too much.

#8 RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 24 June 2009 - 12:16 PM

Where have you been going for Nvidia support? That is probably the best route here.

It's an RC, and people are working their tails off to get drivers out before the Oct. 22 general availability date, but the fact of the matter is, that's a lot of work on their end. It might simply be some time.

Cheers,
Ron S

Windows Outreach Team

Facebook - Twitter - YouTube

#9 Bill Pierce

Bill Pierce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:35 PM

Nvidia insists that I go through XFX for support. XFX says they don't fully support Windows 7 at this point. They're polite about it, but they're playing duck and cover. You're no doubt correct about the race for drivers. There's a new Nvidia driver version for Windows 7 nearly every week. I download and install each of them religiously, but so far my problem continues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users