Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP troubles urgent help needed

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 alicelowndes

alicelowndes

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 03 July 2005 - 08:48 AM

I've had my computer for almost 2 years now and problems have now started to arise. I have Windows XP Home Edition.

It will not let me access 'My Computer' 'My Documents' 'Recycle Bin' 'Control Panel' etc. If I click on them it just freezes for a second then all icons disappear and reappear a few seconds later and nothing will happen, sometimes I will have to restart the computer before I can do anything else after trying to get into any of the above.

And also my computer makes a continuous beep sound sometimes

If anyone can help me ASAP it would be appreciated

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 03 July 2005 - 09:42 AM

when you first start up are ther any error messages shown that look like this STOP 0x0000?? , also a continues beep means you could have a corrupt file or data file come uninstalled which can be caused by a virus. let us no what and then we no more to help you, ok a continuies beep means ram is running out of memory , not alot of ram which means up the ram sticks. i hope this helps.

Edited by thedon57, 03 July 2005 - 01:19 PM.

Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2005 - 12:10 PM

Some things to look for, consider, or report back on:

1. Do you run disk cleanup, scandisk, then defrag on a regular basis?
2. Do you run spyware applications often?
3. What size is your hard drive and how much free space do you have?
4. Have you checked to see how many applications you launch on startup?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2005 - 09:13 PM

I've had my computer for almost 2 years now and problems have now started to arise. I have Windows XP Home Edition.

It will not let me access 'My Computer' 'My Documents' 'Recycle Bin' 'Control Panel' etc. If I click on them it just freezes for a second then all icons disappear and reappear a few seconds later and nothing will happen, sometimes I will have to restart the computer before I can do anything else after trying to get into any of the above.

And also my computer makes a continuous beep sound sometimes

If anyone can help me ASAP it would be appreciated

Thanks

Beep Codes:

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm#7

#5 alicelowndes

alicelowndes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 02:53 AM

when i start up an internet explorer window pops up but just says about:blank, this happens everytime it is swiched on.

I do have a spyware program called spybot and I do run clean ups, defrags quite regularly

any help?

#6 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 03:36 AM

I'd do the following:

Update Spybot and run it, download and install Adaware

Post a Hijackthis log here.

How to submit a log

Download Hijackthis

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 06:08 AM

About:Blank is a hijacker. It is malware.

After you run Spybot (after you update it) and maybe another anti-malware program or two (like the Microsoft Beta), if the problem is not fully resolved you may want to run a Hijack This log and post it in the proper place of the forum as per the directions:

How to submit a Hijack This log

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How...s_Log-t956.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users