Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Media Center cannot start on both Vista 64 Home Premium SP2 PC, and from Extender

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 WillyBob

WillyBob

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 06:48 AM

I have a PC in my living room with Vista Home Premium SP2 64 bit and a Media Center Extender in the family room. They have been, until the last few days, been set up and communicating just fine with good results in general.

Tonight all of a sudden I noticed from the Extender, when trying to connect to the Vista PC, the step "Starting Up" would stay on the screen a long time, until the TV screen after a minute or so would just go blank and to get any response back from the Extender, I would have to either pop in a DVD (it is the Linksys DMA2200, I don't believe the Extender is at fault here, for once, though) , or shut off the power, turn it back on and try again, from the home screen to connect to Vista.

On the PC, I looked into the Media Center Event logs, and noticed four events logged after each attempted connect request:

#1. McMgr: Event 113: "Windows Media Center Extender session established"
#2. McMgr: Event 107, an error: "An unauthorized window was detected while running the Windows Media Center Experience, 'Microsoft Windows', with file name 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\dw20.exe'.
#3. exact duplicate of #2
#4. Media Center Guide, Event 0, an error:

"ERROR: SqmApiWrapper.TimerRecord failed; Win32 GetLastError returned 10000105
Process: DefaultDomain
Objec
t Name: Media Center Guide

I found some info that said there could be a program running on the PC which is attempting to interact with Media Center, or offer it some User Interface that MC cannot accept. Recently I have been using Lightscribe again, so I thought perhaps it was the LS Control Panel, which I have since stopped and prevented from running at startup, but that did not fix it. Same thing for the Logitech Setpoint software, since I am using a new wireless mouse, but am not running it in the background or at boot anymore, but problem persists.

I have run a full MBAM scan and it found nothing. Is there something in particular that you suggest I try? I know how great you guys are at helping in this sort of situation, because at this point I am worried this could be really bad, well, it already is, because it has kept me up all night investigating, and that's more than enough time spent on one (more) messed up Vista piece of Tomfoolery!!

Thank you in advance for your help, you will have one very grateful dude out here!

Will

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users