Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help recovering hard drive from crashed computer

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Terry M

Terry M

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:50 PM

Hi all,

Old PC of mine crashed. I had not backed up hard drive (gasp!).
Diagnostics by a repairman stated that motherboard had gone dead.

I've removed the HD (WD800). I am wondering how to go about recovering the data. Repairman wants to charge a lump amount to do this. Can I connect it to the motherboard of my other, second working CPU? If I do that, will it recognize this as a separate HD or will it try to run from the WD800 as the primary HD?

Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:43 PM

The easy way,

Unplug the working unit & open it
If the CD drive has the same [IDE] connectors temporarily unhook the CD drive & hook the cables to the old hard drive.

Start the unit

Open My Computer
The drive should be listed
Double click it to open it
Double click Documents & Settings
Double click the folder with your user name
Double click Mt Documents

Right click on what you want to save & on the menu click Send to>My Documents
What you do that to will be transfered to My Documents on the good unit
You can not save installed programs [like office ] , only personal folders/files/pictures/etc.

When you are done turn it off
unplug it
remove the HD & hook t5he CD drive up.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:45 PM

If your second PC uses a HD with the same connection type, you should be able to remove the HD from your second PC and replace it with the HD from your now deceased PC. Then burn whatever you need to CDs or copy to a flash drive/external HD. If a motherboard failure was responsible for the death of your computer, all your data should be intact. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Haha Joe you beat me to it

Edited by Blade Zephon, 16 June 2009 - 11:46 PM.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#4 Terry M

Terry M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2009 - 01:53 AM

Thanks blade and Joe. At first glance, it seems the "broken" HD has a Serial ATA while my working CD has IDE. Will take it apart and update you guys.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,155 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2009 - 02:40 AM

It will also need to be set to "slave"

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 Terry M

Terry M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2009 - 09:53 AM

It will also need to be set to "slave"

OldPhil- Thanks. Do I do that when I boot up?

#7 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2009 - 10:37 AM

If it is a SATA drive there is no jumper for setting the drive to master , slave, or cablr select.

If it is a IDE drive & you hook it up in place of the CD drive you won't have to fool with a jumper

If it is SATA simply install it.

If you try to replace the HD in the new unit with the one from the "broken" unit it probably won't start as there will be a heck of a driver conflict.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#8 Terry M

Terry M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:22 AM

You guys are great, thanks!

Stupid question: the SATA and IDE connections are obviously different; what am I missing here? How do I connect this SATA drive? I do have it's SATA cable. But, the CD seems to be IDE connected?! Am I even making sense?

#9 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:44 AM

If the "old" hard drive is SATA & the CD drive is IDE you can't connect the HD in place of the CD drive.

If the old HD is SATA simply plug the SATA cable in the drive & a open SATA connector on the motherboard & hook a power lead to it.

#10 Terry M

Terry M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 11:56 AM

Alright. Well, almost there, but still a glitch:

I'm realizing that my "new" computer may not be so "new" after all--it has NO SATA connectors at all. All my drives are connected via IDEs or USB (external). I'm guessing I need to somehow get a converter cable that goes from SATA -> IDE or from SATA -> USB?

Is this correct? Any ideas?

#11 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,155 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 01:04 PM

Some IDE cables have a second plug mid way, being all IDE you should be Ok. SATA plugs sre very small by comparison.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#12 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2009 - 04:38 PM

If the "old" drive is SATA & the "new" computer only has IDE connections you are going to need either a external USB SATA drive enclosure or a adapter to go from IDE to SATA .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users