Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer is failing me

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sidorak95

sidorak95

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:55 PM

Things are definitely NOT going my way today. I started out running a 3-hour Dr. Web scan, then opening SAS gave me a BSOD due to a windows process being terminated. I would debug it, but everytime I use the debugging tools to open a crash dump, it tells me it has to close. Then my internet connection randomly stops working. I try to use windows repair on it, but it tells that it can't find the ip, or something like that. So, I decide to restart. After I hit restart on the little window, I got another BSOD. I decide I should use Windows repair. However, windows acts like there's no cd in the drive. It even tells me, "Boot from CD.....", and then it goes on to load windows. I'm seriously thinking about switching to Linux. Any fixes I should know about? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:05 PM

What's the BSOD error message?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:38 AM

...and can you provide us the system manufacturer and system model?

This will help us to see what repair alternatives are available to you.

Louis

#4 sidorak95

sidorak95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2009 - 03:21 PM

1 BSOD was that a crucial Windows Process had been terminated. The message was:
STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x0000003, 0x898A8900, 0x898A8A74, 0x805C8C88)

The other one had to do something with a file named pctcore.sys. I wrote the message on a piece of paper, but I lost it.

I custom built my computer out of spare parts.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 04:45 PM

pctcore.sys is, I believe, related to PCTools software. If you have any PCTools software on your computer you could try reinstalling it.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 Alex_Computer

Alex_Computer

• Banned
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:31 PM

With all of these error messages, it could also be some type of malware. Have you tried scanning with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware?

#7 sidorak95

sidorak95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:27 PM

With all of these error messages, it could also be some type of malware. Have you tried scanning with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware?

Yeah, I do a quick scan about once every 3 days, a full scan every month. Nothing found almost always.

I do have Spyware Doctor and Threatfire installed, and I think the BSODs started happening after I installed them .I'll uninstall the and see if that fixes it.

#8 Alex_Computer

Alex_Computer

• Banned
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:32 PM

Have you ever tried scanning with the Kaspersky online scanner? Kaspersky is known for its excellent detection ratings.

#9 sidorak95

sidorak95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:39 PM

I think I've got it. After updating SAS, the BSOD that tells me a process has been terminated comes, so I think I'll try to uninstall Threatfire, Spyware Doctor, and SAS and see if that helps.

#10 Alex_Computer

Alex_Computer

• Banned
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:43 PM

Ok, try that. Make sure to let me know how it goes.

#11 sidorak95

sidorak95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:49 PM

I think mostly everything is caused by SAS. It wouldn't show up in Add or Remove programs, so I used the uninstaller I downloaded. After restarting, Windows popped up 3 times and told me that I had recovered from a serious error and a log had been made. So far so good.

#12 Alex_Computer

Alex_Computer

• Banned
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:52 PM

Good, Keep me posted. Good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users