Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Virus Dilemma

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 portroyal

portroyal

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:28 PM

Hi there, having problems with a virus (at least that is assumed that is what it is...) Posted on other forums...Go easy on me :huh:

When I start the computer, it goes into windows then freezes whilst loading. Alt, Ctrl, del wont help me here. Turning it off manually and starting in safe mode works fine. Can't see anything that LOOKS strange in the list of things that run upon booting (but I have limited knowledge of most things in that list). I disabled all non-essential things and tried to boot again, but still crashes.
Some suggestions I have recieved:

"You may not have a virus. What makes you think you have a virus? You could also have registry errors. If you can download a registry cleaner on another Computer and put it on a pen drive and transfer across to the other computer and run it. Glary Reg cleaner is good."

"Start safe mode with networking, download and install malwarebytes antimalware http://is.gd/13iYo, and run it."

"Ok,this is Extreme Solution#1 Hit F11 on boot
Its just like a reinstalllol;Caveat It formats C & wipes a lot of the programs,although you can regain everything,its shifted off C.Course if thats the only drive its a bit radical,they can end up anywhere.A search of 'everything' will recover them...."

So upon trying all of the above, and it failing, I was told to come to this forum...
Just checked system restore,
no restore point have ever been made. Even if that were the case, I don't even know what dodgy stuff to look for.
Additional: Something called msa.exe was found and I followed the intructions to remove it, and it does not come up anymore on scans...

Any advice would be highly appreciated, I want to avoid re-formatting but it is looking grim...Thanks.

Edited by boopme, 16 June 2009 - 09:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:04 PM

Hello and welcome. You did and may still have more malware. Yiu may have damaged the registry with the cleaner. I am not vertain of the consequences of the F11 tactic. I think yoshould post in the HJT forum as the safest proceedure nw.

You need to run HJT/DDS.
Please follow this guide. go and do steps 6 and 7 ,, Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Hijackthis.

Then go here HijackThis Logs and Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal ,click New Topic,give it a relevant

Title and post that complete log.

Let me know if it went OK.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users