Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help me, I am very confused lol

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kruzzen

kruzzen

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:42 PM

My mom's computer needed a new hard drive. So I got one from best buy and replaced it in the tower. I did all that correctly, it was a simple task. Now when I start up her computer, it shows:
-------------------
Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 084)
Copyright 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Realteck RTL813(X)/8130/810X PCI Fast Ethernet Controller v2.16 (041224)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key
----------------------

Her PC is windows xp. can i download a bootdisk for free and what would i need to do to get her PC working again? her pc is an emachines desktop

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:54 PM

What you reflect...indicates that the boot options in the BIOS are geared to boot from the network...try checking to ensure that the 1st boot option is the hard drive.

I'm assuming that you have reinstalled XP on the new drive.

The system won't boot without an XP installation...

Louis

#3 kruzzen

kruzzen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:55 PM

I have not reinstalled XP yet, i need to now where to get the download (hoping its free) and how to do it if you could assist me with that? Thank you very much in advance :thumbsup:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:09 AM

Perhaps...there's more to replacing a hard drive on a system...than you thought :thumbsup:.

You need to review the documentation for your mother's system...to understand installation options for putting a new drive in her system. Such is normally found (in part) in the owner's manual and/or at the website of the system manufacturer.

Louis

#5 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:35 AM

99% of E-Machines came with 1 or 2 cd's or even 1 DVD that had the complete reinstallation of windows XP and most of the "preinstalled" software on them.

Without these or a Genuine Microsoft Windows XP CD, you will not be able to put Windows XP back on your computer.

Unfortunately Windows XP is "Licensed" software and is not available in "legal" downloadable form.

I would suggest looking for the cd's / dvd for this computer and go from there.

If you do not have these, you may be able to contact E-machines and purchase a set for your mother's computer.

Good Luck,

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users