Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

which antivirus for my new computer?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Egad Elaine

Egad Elaine

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:47 PM

The folks that built my new XP computer put on AVG trial. I thought they were going to put on AVG Free, which my daughter used to use on her computer. It wanted me to buy, but has now run out. I ran the program for removing it, but now don't have any. Should I use Avast or Avira or AVG Free or what?
It's a home computer, but I do sell online. More hobby than business.
I am also still using my old computer running Windows 98 with Norton, but not particularly happy with Norton. When I had a problem with lazy virus, their phone number took me first to someone in the Phillipines, who sent me to someone in India, and I'm not sure they fixed anything, but it cost an extra $100.
So I'm not inclined to put Norton on this one.
What should I do?

In the mean time I mostly use my old one for going online.

Egad Elaine

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:50 PM

I've been using the freeware Comodo antivirus/firewall and am happy with it.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:00 PM

Most people really like the free ones but I am stuck on ZoneAlarm Antivirus (firewall included). I have used it for many years and like it so much I do not mind paying the 30 bucks for the program and the 20 bucks to renew it each year.

#4 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 03:14 AM

If you only want an AV then Avira is hard to beat, but since you are not too happy with Norton I suggest you do a search on these forums for completely removing Norton and install Comodo CIS v3.9 which is a complete security suite and is by far the best product Comodo have come up with so far. Very light on resources, no conflicting programs and very few pop ups once it has learned your programs. It also has an excellent help forum.
http://forums.comodo.com/
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#5 Alex_Computer

Alex_Computer

• Banned
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:47 PM

If you want an excellent, fast, high detection program, then I would get Kaspersky Internet Security. They are currently offering $20 off until 7/13/09. It is a paid subscription, but it is well worth it :thumbsup:

#6 Egad Elaine

Egad Elaine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 12:31 AM

OK, I downloaded the Comodo security program. Hope it works well. They do have a nice forum there.
Thanks everyone for all the help.

#7 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 02:14 AM

OK, I downloaded the Comodo security program. Hope it works well. They do have a nice forum there.

I strongly recommend you not use Comodo. The antivirus component is relatively untested and has a high FP rate and Defence+ is only suitable for advanced users.

Using AntiVir free with Firefox, WOT, AVG LinkScanner and OpenDNS is a much more user-friendly option.

#8 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 03:07 AM

I strongly recommend you not use Comodo. The antivirus component is relatively untested and has a high FP rate and Defence+ is only suitable for advanced users.

Using AntiVir free with Firefox, WOT, AVG LinkScanner and OpenDNS is a much more user-friendly option.

Absolute misleading rubbish from someone who obviously knows nothing about Comodo at all. The virus data base in Comodo has well over 5,250,000 signatures now and is being updated 3-4 times daily. I am 60yrs old and completely PC illiterate but I can operate Defence + and all the other Comodo functions without any problem and if I do have a question it is solved very quickly at the excellent Comodo forum.
The anti Comodo comments usually come from Pc magazines etc with vested interests by the people who pay for the advertising et al. These companies are obviously not to happy with Comodo giving free what they are charging for and thereby reducing their market share.
I have used Comodo for approx 4yrs now since v2.4 and wothout doubt the latest version 3.9 is the best most secure and easiest to operate product for the beginner that Comodo have ever made.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#9 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 05:45 AM

Absolute misleading rubbish from someone who obviously knows nothing about Comodo at all.

I have used Comodo many times. And every time I expected their usability to be better due to all their hype and it always turns out to have no significant difference.

The virus data base in Comodo has well over 5,250,000 signatures now

Numbers provided by the vendor means nothing. It's well known that all vendors count their signatures differently.

I am 60yrs old and completely PC illiterate but I can operate Defence + and all the other Comodo functions without any problem and if I do have a question it is solved very quickly at the excellent Comodo forum.

Can you elaborate on using Comodo "without any problem"? Do you really understand what all the pop ups mean? If you can use Comodo with its default settings without any problems, then you are not "completely PC illiterate" at all.

#10 Alex_Computer

Alex_Computer

• Banned
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:59 AM

Or a relatively cheap alternative could be Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. It only costs around $25 for a lifetime.

#11 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:23 PM

Malwarebytes Antimalware is an antimalware scanner, not an antivirus.

Antispyware/malware scanners are to supplement the protection of your computer alongside your preferred antivirus, but it won't replace an antivirus.

Also, to add, where one setup/program may work for a user, it may not work so much for others because of their operating system, hardware components, and other possible things that can affect how a computer runs the software.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#12 Alex_Computer

Alex_Computer

• Banned
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:30 PM

Malwarebytes Antimalware is an antimalware scanner, not an antivirus.

Antispyware/malware scanners are to supplement the protection of your computer alongside your preferred antivirus, but it won't replace an antivirus.

Also, to add, where one setup/program may work for a user, it may not work so much for others because of their operating system, hardware components, and other possible things that can affect how a computer runs the software.

Thats what I meant, i meant for the poster to add it to their free choice of an anti-virus product

#13 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:40 PM

Just to add, Malwarebytes Antimalware is free. The one-time registration adds MBAM's realtime protection module, so there's no need to register it if you don't want to.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#14 Alex_Computer

Alex_Computer

• Banned
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:43 PM

As from what I think, the real-time protection isnt really needed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users