Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't open system restore

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GreasyTheKid

GreasyTheKid

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:25 PM

Hello I'm having trouble with my PC (Compaq Presario 6024US) with XP Home Edition and I'm having so many problems. Yesterday was when the madness started. I don't know why I did it but I went into Zone Alarm and deleted all the viruses from the quarantine section. This froze my computer. I tried ctrl+alt+dlt but that did nothing. I then got frustrated so I manually shut down the computer by pressing the button on the tower. When I tried to restart I got a screen that said:

"We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change may have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose "Last Known Good Configuration" to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose "Start Windows Normally."

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Last Known Good Configuration
Start Windows Normally"

I first tried "Start Windows Normally" but that just brought me back to the same screen with the 5 options. So then I tried all the other ones but they also looped me back to the same screen. It was an endless restart loop. I tried turning off the computer and then pressing F8 when turning it back on but that didn't get me to Safe Mode.
So then I used my sister's laptop to find a solution. My first attempt to fix it was by putting in the XP OS CD that came with my computer (it says Compaq on it btw), typing R for repair and then chkdsk and fixboot. Nothing negative came up and then I typed exit. It didn't work. I got that same 5 option screen.
Second attempt was this. I was following the steps and everything was going fine until I got to this screen. I kept getting windows popping up with messages that said "cannot copy the file [file name]." Clicking RETRY wouldn't work. I had the CD in and everything but the files couldn't be found on it. There was nothing I could do so I just kept ignoring them but they kept popping up, one after another. There were like 15 or more of them. Finally, the process finished and my computer rebooted...with no 5 option screen! Before I could get on my desktop, it asked me to activate windows. When I tried it, it would become blank and say Not Responding :thumbsup: . I decided to just go to sleep--it was already 3am.

Today, I was able to get on my desktop but I am getting error messages popping up (aol, internet and zone alarms won't work). I guess I will create a separate post for those. Anyway, I wanted to try System Restore to try to see if I could restore my computer to an earlier time so it would fix all the error msgs but it wouldn't open. I would click on the icon in System Tools and then I would see the hourglass but that was it...it never opened.

:Sigh: So then I tried booting with Safe Mode and opening System Restore there. I got this msg: 'rstrui.exe - Entry Point Not Found'. The procedure entry point RemoteAssistancePrepareSystemRestore could not be located in the dynamic link library WINSTA.dll.
I found this and I tired it but it didn't fix my problem. Now, though, I see the same message when I'm out of Safe Mode and try to open System Restore.

I'm going loony. I wish I could go back in time and not even use my computer yesterday. I feel like my brain is going to explode. Please help me!!!

Thanks in advance for any helpful responses :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:37 PM

Did you delete them from ZA or restore them?

#3 GreasyTheKid

GreasyTheKid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:45 PM

I deleted them. I selected them all and then clicked delete.

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:51 PM

Hmmm, it seems really weird that deleting them would do that to your computer. Theoretically, when something is in quarantine, it is like it does not exist so I am clueless as to why deleting them made any difference in how your computer functioned

How long had those files been in quarantine?

Edited by Stang777, 16 June 2009 - 06:56 PM.

#5 GreasyTheKid

GreasyTheKid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:59 PM

Not quite sure when the oldest ones were from...more than 3 months old i think. The newer ones were from 2 weeks ago. That's the last thing I did before the computer froze. The day before I installed Firefox for the first time but I doubt that had anything to do with it.

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:05 PM

Since they had been in there that long I am sure that you had rebooted the computer since putting them in there so that makes it even more weird that you had trouble after deleting them.

Like you, I do not think Firefox had anything to do with your problems, but it is a computer, so anything is possible

#7 GreasyTheKid

GreasyTheKid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:43 PM

There must be a way to fix System Restore but is it possible to get all my old restore points back?

#8 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:48 PM

Often times System Restore can be fixed just be turing it off, rebooting, then turning it back on. If that doesn't work, you can try using a repair tool in the program SuperAntiSpyware to repair the System Restore program.

I'm sorry, but I do not believe there is any way to get your old restore points back if you had not copied them to another place.

#9 GreasyTheKid

GreasyTheKid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 04:19 PM

A few days ago I posted about how my computer got all messed up on me.
These are the popups I was referring to in the post:

C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\113917~1\ee\AOLSOF~1.EXE
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
Validation failed for C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe. You probably are missing a necessary root certificate.

waol.exe - Bad Image
The application or DLL C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\APPDATA.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

I also have no internet. It says Wireless Connection Unavailable. I'm not an expert so I thought the only way to fix this is to restore it to an earlier time but I'm told that I probably can't do that anymore. I'm guessing that the fastest way to fix everything is to just do a factory restore. What do you think? Is there a way to avoid it without having to spend days trying to fix everything?
If I do the factory restore I will have to backup lots of stuff but will the issues I'm having be backed up in the files as well? I'm not sure how it works. I just don't want to backup something that will harm the newly factory restored XP.
One last thing, last month I made my old hard drive into a slave drive and added another HD that had more space. Will doing a factory restore do anything to the slave drive?

Okay, hope all this made sense. Thanks again in advance for any helpful replies.

Edited by The weatherman, 19 June 2009 - 04:27 PM.
Merged post~TW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users