Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Up Problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SkratRadder

SkratRadder

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:14 PM

I have my external hd plugged into my cousin's computer, and i believe the computer was shut down and turned back on, which may have added it to the bios. Without the hd plugged in, the computer will show the winxp (home by the way) loading screen, then just sits. the mouse icon appears but no logon screen. With the hd plugged in it takes forever, but i see the logon screen. After clicking a user, however, there it shows the wallpaper and nothing else happens. I have a lot of information on my hd, so it may be trying to figure out all of that before it can get to booting, i'm unsure. I turned off the mass storage support for dos in the bios, but to no avail. The only way i can get to the desktop in winxp is by going into safemode. I was able to complete a spyware scan in safemode, removed all of the problems, but that didn't help the problem either. Thanks for you help.

Windows XP Home Edition
Pent 4 3.0 ghz
2gb ram

ext hd wd passport 1tb

crat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:11 PM

In Safe Mode, right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After itís finished it will restart into Windows automatically.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 SkratRadder

SkratRadder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:24 PM

I recieved the error message "windows was unable to complete the disk check" immediately after clicking the start button. Is this not possible in safe mode?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:33 PM

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 SkratRadder

SkratRadder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:18 PM

He doesn't have the xp disk. I was able to access the desktop finally in regular mode after running advanced system care three and avg anti virus. Once i got past the logon page, the desktop started to load then just showed wallpaper. I used the task manager to restart explorer and was able to finally get to the desktop. It seems to be working, but slowly. "system" under processes is taking up a lot of memory, as well i've noticed that he has been having a lot of trouble with the windows update process has been taking up a lot of memory for a long time as well. Spybot has also not been able to run. It'll show in the processes using just over 2mb of ram, but would never load. I have uninstalled and reinstalled a few times to no avail. Not sure of the trouble here. I'm running a virus scan again now that i've made it to regular mode and so far in 2 minutes it has found 6 trojans, at about 2 and a half minutes the computer reset. thanks for your help.

oh, by the way, would that chkdsk command work in safemode w/command?

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:29 PM

The chkdsk command and running Error Checking are in fact the same thing. So if one wouldn't work in Safe Mode I don't think the other will either.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,841 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:42 AM

Users can download the XP Recovery Console and burn it to bootable CD...and then employ the tools available there (including chkdsk /r).

Download Recovery Console, Bootable ISO - http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users