Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

COMPUTER FREEZES during games & randomly!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ali_bear

Ali_bear

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:47 PM

I'm completely lost and need help. :trumpet:

I'm an avid player of "The Sims 2" and have all of their expansion packs. Recently, my game started freezing after twenty minutes of play. I couldn't go to my desktop or even bring up my task manager. So I'd have to resort to giving it a hard reboot.

I thought maybe it was the game itself, but then noticed that while I was playing a streaming video on a website, I got a freeze and had to do a hard reboot. I suspected it could have been my video card (xfx Nvidia GeForce 6200) so I replaced it with the same type of card and kept getting the freezes. Next, I thought it could have been my Ram. I'm working with Windows XP and only had 512mb of Ram. Today, I upgraded to 1gb of ram and still experience the freezing problem while playing the Sims. The other day, I even froze a few minutes after turning on Yahoo Voice Chat. :thumbsup:

I thought maybe it was my sound card (C-media AC97 Driver) that maybe needed a driver update but I can't seem to find an update on the web anywhere for this driver, not even on Cmedia's website!

Does anyone else have any suggestions of what could be causing my freezes? I've used compressed air to clean dust from my system, scanned for viruses, spyware and malware, and can't seem to come up with any other ideas. Any and all suggestions are welcomed! :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:12 PM

Since you have a DeForce 6200 I would suspect that is the issue.

I bought a 6200 to upgrade a unit.
It was the absolute worse video card I've ever had.
For the record, I couldn't play CSI Hard Evedence with it.

Ironically I had a old Gefore 4 440MX 64MB card that played the game great !
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Ali_bear

Ali_bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:40 AM

Update: 

I know I'm late on this, but this if for anyone else who could have had this problem.  It was my motherboard.  Yeppers, it died and I had to get another computer.  The End.thumbup2.gif

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

Thanks for the feedback, late or not :).

Such may help someone in a similar situation.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users