Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup arrested with high pitched-noise from ?processor?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dougdougdoug

dougdougdoug

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:44 PM

I have a 6 year-old Dell desktop with a 2.4 GHz processor and Windows XP OS. When I press the power-on button the initial screen comes on and as it is almost finished with this screen it starts to emit a high-pitched noise with a lower fast clicking noise. The start-up process is arrested at this point and I need to hit either f2 key to go the the Startup menu or the f12 for the boot menu to get it to stop. If I exit either of these menus it will continue with the normal startup process and seems to run normally. I opened up my computer to listen and it seems that this noise is coming from the processor but I am not sure. Any thoughts as to the problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:33 PM

I wouldn't of thought the processor would be making noise, but I guess it could happen. Have you cleaned the interior of the computer out lately? Especially around the processor heatsink.

Are you sure it's not coming from the hard drive? It almost seems like the computer is not initially recognizing the hard drive. You should back up all of your data just in case.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:21 PM

It's usually coil noise. The coils near the CPU whine/hum and can drive you nuts.

Sometimes a bad PSU can cause it, or loose coils, or bad caps as well. Some coils have globs of silicone or rubbery adhesive applied to prevent the problem.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users