Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PAV trojan

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 alan2273

alan2273

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:20 PM

This is beyond me and I need some pointers on how to proceed.

My nephew rang me yesterday to say his son had downloaded a program called PAV which said he had a trojan,(on Googling PAV is the trojan).

So I told him to download malwarebytes and follow the instructions to remove it.
On trying to download Malwarebytes, PAV blocked the download, so I downloaded it and sent it as an attachment in an e-mail, when he tried to open it PAV again blocked it.

He is running XP Home with Avast anti virus and ZA firewall.

This is what I have tried with no success.

1/ Turned of System restore, try to run uninstaller, would not work, tried again in safe mode still would not uninstall.

2/ Use msconfig to disable all start up items then boot into safe mode with networking to try to down load malwarebytes but program was still being blocked.

It will load his home page on the browser but will not connect to anything, so I am posting this for him.

3/ Ran Avast, but it did not detect PAV as a trojan.

4/ ran regedit and deleted all PAV keys found, after reboot they were all back again.

As he is 100 miles away and has no backups for his work, I need help as a complete reinstall is not a viable option.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:20 PM

He could try downloading it again but this time change the name of the file before it is downloaded

#3 alan2273

alan2273
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:20 PM

I have some good news.

I built the computer for my nephew about two years ago and installed Avast, ZA and forgot I had installed Superantispyware.

When I was talking to him after no success in downloading Malwarebytes I told him to try downloading Superantispyware and he said I allready have that on the computer, ( I had forgotten I installed it before I gave it to him), so he updated it and did a scan and it removed PAV.

Thanks to all who looked at this post. :thumbsup:

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:23 PM

Glad to hear that. At this point I would still have him dl Malwarebytes just to make sure all traces of it are gone. He should have no trouble dli'ing it now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users