Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

No browsers except IE will connect, amidst a slew of other problems...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 goodnyte

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 03:26 PM

My sister's computer has a mess of problems I think, but the initial one that led to the discovery of the other problems started with browser troubles so I'll post here for now. I'm not really sure where this post should go, but this is my best guess.

Rather suddenly, Firefox was unable to connect to the internet and load any websites, but Internet Explorer was still working fine. I tried getting Safari and Opera to load, and neither of those would connect either. My sister doesn't use AIM or other non-browsing programs that require the internet so I don't know if they would also be unable to load. I don't think the connection itself is the problem, as I am able to ping Google and Yahoo, and we have a router that supplies wireless to two other computers and other wi-fi devices and all of these are still working just as usual.

Then that blasted System Security trojan virus popped up - problem number 2. I used Malwarebytes and followed the procedure to get rid of it, but I just ran Malwarebytes again because my initial problem had not been solved, and I could see that it was still finding those Vundo trojans. System Security seems to have been eliminated from the computer, but 'Vundo' was still found in the scan. I'm not sure if System Security is completely gone, or even if it would contribute to my initial browser problem. I proceeded with trying to find out what was wrong with the browsers under the impression that System Security was gone.

I tried toggling the Windows Firewall settings, which are usually off because we use Norton 360, but that did no good. I tried making Firefox an exception when the Firewall was turned on, but no luck, and I turned it all back off. Then I tried to open up Norton to see if maybe editing its settings would help, and I couldn't get it to open - problem number 3. I tried opening Norton Security Scan, but it kept telling me to use Norton 360 which won't open, so it's a rather frustrating cycle. I'm reluctant to remove Norton altogether because it was expensive, and the product key seems to have been lost/forgotten. I had to wipe the computer just a few months ago completely due to a virus. I'm also reluctant to do this again. I'm unable to do a System Restore because it keeps saying that it is disabled, and when I try to access it through Accessories the window shows that there are no available restore points.

Again, I'm not entirely sure where all this would most neatly fit. I'm becoming desperate for an answer, and am ready to throw the thing out the window.

Antivirus: Norton 360
Browsers: Firefox, Safari, Opera (not working) | Internet Explorer (working)

Edit: Moved topic from Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 17 June 2009 - 09:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Alex_Computer

• Banned
  • 107 posts
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:43 PM

I noticed that you said under operating systems that you have both SP1 and SP2. Which do you have as you cannot have both at the same time.

#3 Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 09:24 PM

I noticed that you said under operating systems that you have both SP1 and SP2. Which do you have as you cannot have both at the same time.

Technically this isn't true. . . if you have SP2, then you also have SP1. He's saying is that his computer is updated to SP2.

In regards to your issues goodnyte. . . most of these seem to be stemming from the malware infection on your system. So let's get that cleaned up first. Since MBAM was unable to remove the Vundo on your system, let's try one other A/S tool, and if that doesn't get it we'll send you to the Malware Removal forum for some heavy-duty cleaning.

Don't worry though. . . Vundo can definitely be removed. :thumbsup:

For the time being I will have this topic moved to the Am I Infected forum.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

Please download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If it will not start, go to Start > All Prgrams > SUPERAntiSpyware and click on Alternate Start.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (uncheck all others):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

In your next reply, please include the following:
SUPERAntiSpyware Log

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users