Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I can't boot from a CD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Megaritz

Megaritz

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 03:24 PM

A while ago, I made a thread here about not being able to log into my computer. Budapest provided instructions that let me create a CD that would hopefully solve the problem. I tested the CD on another computer, and it works. However, I can't use it on the computer I want to fix. I changed (and saved) the BIOS so that it would boot from CD first, but it seems to skip that step and go right to trying a LAN connection. It doesn't seem to realize the CD is in there.

The CD has a recovery program on it. I know what to do with it after getting it working, but I need help getting my computer to boot from it. My computer is a Toshiba Portege M400-S5032 and uses Windows XP.

Here's the original thread:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/229374/i-cant-log-into-windows/

Yeah, I know it's been a long time. I'm a terrible procrastinator.

Edited by Megaritz, 16 June 2009 - 03:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,536 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:03 PM

Well...does your BIOS properly reflect the optical drive as a boot option...right now? Take a look.

Does the drive show up on the main page of the BIOS...the one listing all drives?

FWIW: Sometimes a BIOS will default to settings where the 1st/only boot option is via network. In these cases, I've changed the CMOS battery and that solved it.

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

Louis

#3 Megaritz

Megaritz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:31 PM

The boot priority order is currently listed as "CD-ROM-->LAN-->HDD-->FDD" Is that what you mean? I *would* make the HDD the second option, but for some reason LAN has to be the second option when CD-ROM is listed first. It seems to try to boot from a LAN connection (without saying anything about a CD) and I get a message saying "Initializing and establishing link..." then "Media test failure, check cable" and "Exiting Intel Boot Agent."
After that, I get the option to start Windows (from the HDD) normally. Sometimes I get a bluescreen instead. When I try to log into Windows, I get immediately logged out (the problem that necessitated all this in the first place).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users