Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UberSlow Internet Browsing

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 vayne24

vayne24

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:50 PM

Hello!
as you can read, my internet browsing has become as slow as a snail. everything else is normal (download speed, video stream, etc.) I'm using both firefox and opera and both gave the same results. I also tried google chrome but well... no luck.
I had bought a new wireless router (D-link DIR-300) and wired 2 computers to it.
I tried unplugging one of the computers from the router but then nothing happens, still slow. By Slow I mean it takes 10-30 minutes to load a single page. I can't even log in into my Yahoo Messenger.
I found a temporary solution though. I have to disable and re-enable my internet connection to speed it up. But then a few minutes later it goes back to being sooo slow.
I'm on windows xp sp2 anyway if that helps. My ethernet adapter is D-link DFE-528TX PCI Adapter is wired using a cat5e cable to the wireless router.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Alex_Computer

Alex_Computer

• Banned
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:45 PM

I am thinking that this might be malware. Do you have any Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware installed on the system?

#3 vayne24

vayne24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 08:21 AM

I have eset smart security and malwarebytes

#4 Alex_Computer

Alex_Computer

• Banned
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:04 AM

Ok, I see that you said you have SP2. How long has it been since you've ran Windows Update?

#5 vayne24

vayne24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 12:18 AM

actually i have not done that yet...i just got the computer back from the shop after i had it fixed...

#6 Alex_Computer

Alex_Computer

• Banned
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 07:34 PM

It would be wise to run Windows Update as SP3 includes the lastest security updates.

#7 vayne24

vayne24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2009 - 04:05 AM

I've turn the windows update on and I only had 1 update download. It's something like package installer or something. I haven't had any other notifications yet so far

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 21 June 2009 - 09:38 AM

"The Package Installer for Windows is used to install software updates for Microsoft Windows operating systems and for other Microsoft products. Software update 898461 installs a permanent copy of the Package Installer for Windows version 6.1.22.4 on the computer so that subsequent software updates can have a significantly smaller download size."
taken from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898461

This means that the installer is the first thing you need. After that, you'll be able to get the updates.
Please go to Microsoft Update
and check to see if there are updates available to you.

#9 Alex_Computer

Alex_Computer

• Banned
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:33 AM

Let us know what all comes through!

#10 vayne24

vayne24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:10 PM

I've gotten more update afters a day or 2. Most of them were security updates and yeah now I'm in SP3 already. I also got that IE8 installer and flash player security or something like that. I guess it's better now though I can't feel the improvement that much.

#11 vayne24

vayne24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:05 AM

I guess It's fine now. it takes only seconds to load a page. Thanks for all the help!

#12 vayne24

vayne24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:48 AM

the problem came back again! at first I thought it was just because of the rain, but days after it is still slow!

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 28 June 2009 - 10:24 AM

There are a lot of things that can cause the behavior you describe. One thing that is often over-looked is internet security.
I know this is a long-shot, but you could try it. In Control Panel, turn on the Windows firewall.
Uninstall eset. See if your system performance improves. If not, you can reinstall eset.
If it does, you'll need to either reinsall eset and live with the issue OR find another firewall and antivirus.
Suites are more prone to cause this issue than stand alone firewall and AV programs.
There is no one size fits all when it comes to computer security. What works for some may not work well for others.
Sometimes a program just doesn't play nice with a system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users