Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tsukiok

tsukiok

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:25 PM

So I tried to turn on the computer, it gets all the way to the Windows loading screen, then it restarts itself back to the BIOS loading screen, makes it to the Windows loading screen, and so on. It WILL boot into safe mode, though (miracles do happen!).

I think it's a virus. What does everyone else think before I go take this in to the tech people?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:37 PM

If it boots in safe mode while not booting successfully otherwise...driver corruption would be my guess.

Bear in mind that there are all sorts of drivers operative...not just hardware, but programs such as firewall, AV, image-editors, music-editors/players, etc...all have ddrivers.

"Corruption" is just computerese for "damaged."

System manufacturer and model?

Do you have a MS XP install CD?

Can you try Last Known Good Configuration?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852

Louis

#3 tsukiok

tsukiok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:43 PM

Dell Precision 670 with XP Service Pack 3 (updated to, was originally 1 back in the day).

I don't know if we still have the XP disk. It's my mother's computer, and I've been telling her to buy a new one for a long time. ><

Will try the "last known config" thing later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users