Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant import video from dv Camcorder using firewire cable - please help!!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CharlsFarls

CharlsFarls

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:50 AM

Would really appreciate help with this matter!

I am connecting a JVC GR-D23 ek camcorder(CC) to my computer, which is running Windows Vista Ultimate SP1. I am connecting the CC using a firewire cable, and on connecting the CC using that cable, the autoplay box comes up, so according to Dell (the unhelpful toads), this means there is no issue with the firewire port/card etc.

When I attempt to start video importing, no video is displayed in the preview monitor in windows movie maker. I have checked in device manager - the CC is listed and according to the device manager, it is working correctly and has the most up to date drivers. When I look in 'computer' though, the CC is not listed (it was suggested somebody else try this on another site, who was having similar problems to me). The CC should be listed as AVC compliant device or something like that!

I am able to control the CC using the windows movie maker programme i.e. i can rewind/fast forward etc - but no image will display at all in the preview.

Any help will be greatfully received!!!

Thanks so much for reading
Charli

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 CharlsFarls

CharlsFarls
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 06:11 AM

Aaaaaah! I take it from all the views but no replies that this must be a tricky one! Is there no one who has an inkling on what I can do? Really stuck with it!

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 05 July 2009 - 12:28 PM

This is a stab in the dark, but did you finalize the disk in the camcorder?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 05 July 2009 - 12:35 PM.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 05 July 2009 - 01:17 PM

Some of those camcorders are very picky about what firewire chipsets they support. A friend had to buy a TexasInstrument
pci card for his desktop.

We usually boot the computer, hook the cable up to it, turn on the camera and then hook the cable to it
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 CharlsFarls

CharlsFarls
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 05:27 AM

Im a bit confused when you say finalise disk! My camera uses mini DV tapes. I probably sound really stoopid now for saying that as I more than likely have misunderstood you lol, if thats the case please put me right!

And what is a PCI card? Off to try and find out now! So you hook the firewire end of the cable to the computer as it is booting up then turn on the camera and hook it up after you ve switched on? It seems to be connecting somehow because it brings up the autplay box but it wont show the video footage in the preview window. When the tape reaches the end windows movie maker says to check there is a tape in the machine - like, duh! I think getting my video imported to my computer would be the least of mi bloomin worries if i cant even remember to put the 'bleepin' tape in eh? lol

Thanks so much for the replies guys too, really appreciate your help. Hopefully if i eliminate all possible options we might be able to come up with something!

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 07:27 AM

My friend had a lot of problems with the firewire card in his desktop

Here's a cheap one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16815124015

We tried nec and via ones also.

His JVC camera would work with his laptop that used a Texas Instrument chipset for firewire

Currently the de facto standard for compatibility is the Texas Instruments FireWire (IEEE1394) controller chipset. Also known as the TI chipset.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users