Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

~AXDW^ file ?? MOVED

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Silly Vampire Lover

Silly Vampire Lover

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:19 AM

I'm not sure if this is the proper place to post this and it's my first time so please deal with the newb.

My friend is having laptop issues, yesterday evening when she came home she turned on her laptop like normal but she noticed something. It was going slow. Way slow to the point of slower than snail pace. So she started deleting everything she might have put on it that day and nothing. This morning it was still the same thing, slow ... not moving restarting. so she started poking around and noticed this file that was never there before last evening there and it had eating up 100 Gigs of her hard drive.

the file extension was ~AXDW^.

she tried to delete it tells her that it cant.

Does anyone have any clue what this is? She and I appreciate any help or suggestions!

Thank you :thumbsup:

Edited by garmanma, 16 June 2009 - 12:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 04:41 AM

Hi Silly Vampire,

1) Please have your friend try to upload the file to a website that scans individual files using the search engines of many different antivirus companies. Here are the instructions:

Since you know that this file was added to your computer, use whatever means you used before to identify the file's location on your computer, whether that is by simply doing a search of Windows Explorer (if you don't already know where it is), or by looking at a log, if that's where you first noticed that it had been added to the computer. Then go to one of the following two sites. If one is too busy, try the other:

When you go to the link, there will be a small window with a browse button next to it. When you know where the file is located, use the browse button at Jotti or VirusTotal to locate the file on your computer and submit it. It may or may not work, but it would be useful to know if it has been identified as malware by any of the antivirus companies.

2) Also, it would be a good idea for you to run a rootkit scan. I recommend using

Please post the result of that scan here.

3) Finally, I would like to ask you to run an online scan:

Note: This scan has to be run with Internet Explorer (not another browser)

Perform an onlinescan with Panda Active Scan 2.0
(please use this scanner instead of any other scanner!)[indent=1]
Panda Online- Once you are on the Panda site click the Scan your PC button
- A new window will open...click the Check Now button
- Enter your Country
- Enter your State/Province
- Enter your e-mail address and click send
- Select either Home User or Company
- Click the big Scan Now button
- If it wants to install an ActiveX component allow it
- It will start downloading the files it requires for the scan (Note: It may take a couple of minutes)
- When download is complete, click on Local Disks to start the scan
- When the scan completes, if anything malicious is detected, click the See Report button
- Save Report and save it to a convenient location.
Post the contents of the Panda scan report together with a new hijackthislog.

4) When you finish, please post the following:
  • report from Jotti or VirusTotal
  • Gmer log
  • ActiveScan log from the Panda online scan
Let me know how this goes?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users