Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suggestion for the Reading Room

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TSalarek

TSalarek

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:37 AM

Just did a Vista Pro with SDbot and Personal AntiVirus. Entry unconfirmed but suspected to be a combination of Drive-by, MSN, and wallpaper downloads.

AVG, Spybot S+D, MBAM, AdAware, Stinger, Windows Malicious Software Rempval Tool, Windows Defender all failed to remove, some hung on scan, some failed to launch.

Conficker Removal Tool confirmed Negative for Conficker.

Attempted manual removal which was incomplete causing respawn of PAV on restart. Successful removal with Smitfraudfix (run twice before restart) followed by Normal boot MBAM Quick Scan (3 on first scan, 11 on second). Verified clean with Kaspersky online.

As of this post PAV is not listed in the Reading Room Index.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,592 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 01:00 PM

Is this what you are looking for? How to remove Personal Antivirus
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 TSalarek

TSalarek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:20 PM

How'd you....no, nm...a more appropriate query would be:

"Why isn't it listed in the index?" Most people looking for info on it aren't gonna know it's a clone and thus won't know to look under the original's entries (which they can't because neither original is listed O_O).

Point 2 is that (much as I respect Grinler and adore MBAM) that guide gives no alternatives for when you can't get MBAM in to clean. Yes, Smitfraudfix is a more advanced tool, but I feel it should be included.

Thanks for the post, though...at least we know PAV has a page ;)

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,526 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 19 June 2009 - 07:41 PM

How'd you....no, nm...a more appropriate query would be:

"Why isn't it listed in the index?" Most people looking for info on it aren't gonna know it's a clone and thus won't know to look under the original's entries (which they can't because neither original is listed O_O).

Thank you for pointing out that it isn't on list as are a couple of others. As much as the staff of Bleeping Computer would love to immediately update every single item on this forum. Due to the pure volunteer nature of this forum and it's staff it is not possible, and stuff will be weeks or months behind.

If you had seen the date of the list, it was created Sep 25 2008. While the unistall guide you were looking for was Posted by Grinler on March 15, 2009. So it has yet to make the list but it will. Just not as soon as we on the staff would like. We do the very best we can with keeping things updated, but things change often faster than staff can make the adjustments.

We do appreciate you bringing that oversight to our attention.

If I might suggest, if you happen to be searching for a guide by Grinler. Google the specific baddie by name then use a comma and the words BleepingComputer. Often thats how I find our guides myself.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,592 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:31 PM

I just updated the list.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016