Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unanswered Topic Suggestion

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 02 July 2005 - 11:10 PM

When i was doing my daily exploring of BC I noticed that at least every post has at least 1 Unanswered topic on the first page. My suggestion is to maybe put a pinned topic maybe in the general chat section to post a comment and a link to your topic if it has not been answered in 15 days. I know that there is one already for Hijack This section but maybe it would be good to put one for all of the topics. I am saying not to put one in every section but just in the general chat section where they can post something asking for help after 15 (could be a different number) days of it not being answered and maybe this can help get there question answered.

Sorry if this can't work out but I am am just trying to make BC a great place to get help and chat with friends.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gilmour

gilmour

• Banned
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 05 July 2005 - 01:35 PM

Or just check the unaswerd topics in your control panel? I just found this out that way you can answer the ones that have been waiting!

#3 frankie12

frankie12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2005 - 03:14 PM

ohhh... never saw that before. So BC dosn't need a topic about topics not answered since they have the option in unanswered questions!

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2005 - 03:56 PM

:thumbsup: frankie & gilmore

The info. linked here will help you to navigate around Bleeping Computer more smoothly.
Your Bleeping Computer Experience
Posted Image

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2005 - 03:22 PM

How do YOU tell answered from unanswered?
A topic maybe answered but not done yet, or it may be bumped (me, today) in hope for some insights :thumbsup: .

If you look at count of replies, it does not mean it's answered.

Also there are those little cute envelope icons. One, that I sometimes see, is an envelope with a red dot within. What does that mean?

Finally, how can we, the users seeking help, indicate that it's finished?

This is a fantastic site. Thanks again for having it.

#6 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 23 July 2005 - 04:30 PM

Tos226

If you look at the columns in a forum - they show responses/replies and number of viewings.

In using one's control panel one can search on zero replies, or one can search on
"my topics".

Bumping a topic really defeats the purpose of receiving a reply. It makes it appear as
though it was responded to by another.

The envelope Icons show several things. A red envelope shows it is a topic that has been
viewed by a certain number of people (above 10 - I believe).

The little dot in the center of the envelope designates that you have posted to that thread.

A green envelope designates the topic as a "Poll".

Then if one is finished in a topic, a simple reply saying that your problem is fixed, you
received the information you were looking for, or similar, is appropriate.

HTH
Regards,
Koan
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#7 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2005 - 04:31 PM

How do YOU tell answered from unanswered?

An answered post shows a reply.

A topic maybe answered but not done yet, or it may be bumped (me, today) in hope for some insights  :thumbsup: .

True just because a topic has been answered. Does not mean it is done.

If you look at count of replies, it does not mean it's answered.

The amount of replies does not have anything to do with weather or not the topic is resolved. One has to view the topic, to see if it is.

Also there are those little cute envelope icons. One, that I sometimes see, is an envelope with a red dot within. What does that mean?

If you would look at the bottom right hand corner of each seperate forum. You will find the description of each envelope.
A red envelope means "Hot Topic" new replies. For instance.

Finally, how can we, the users seeking help, indicate that it's finished?

This is an easy one. Just post a final reply letting everyone involved that your problems have been resolved. In doing so the helpers then know that they have in fact helped. Plus, any future onlookers can maybe learn from your experience.

This is a fantastic site. Thanks again for having it.

Thanks! :flowers:

Edited by Scarlett, 23 July 2005 - 04:40 PM.

Posted Image

#8 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2005 - 05:03 PM

Thank you Scarlett, it's helpful to understand your proces. Though I suspect rough on you in that you have read the post to see its state.
About the icons:

If you would look at the bottom right hand corner of each seperate forum. You will find the description of each envelope.
A red envelope means "Hot Topic" new replies. For instance.

Yup, I saw that. But in one of the forums, I think Business Apps I see a tiny little red dot on a blue envelope. Either I need better glasses or the description is not there.

Edit: I just looked at Business, look on this page, for instance
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Bus...st_post-45.html
Every page other than 1 as of this moment have several with a dot, though today it's not red ... well, it used to be red :thumbsup:
I'm familiar with some of the posts - it just might be a "resolved" indicator. If so, do the moderators put it in?

Edited by tos226, 23 July 2005 - 05:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users