Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is there a way to turn on/off internet

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cornerstone

cornerstone

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:26 AM

I was working on a computer that has me scratching my head. It is a Gateway with P4/3Gig processor and 512 meg of RAM and 112 GIG hard drive. The user is using TDS DSL for Internet. I can get on the Internet with this computer is I boot into "safe mode with networking" but I cannot get onto the Net using a normal boot. There is no antivirus or firewall software on this computer - nor is the Windows firewall being used. As a side note the user claims that the system was running slow previous when it had Norton on it - at the recommendation of TDS they were told to take Nrton off and put AVG on - this is when the issue occured.

I did a system restore to 1 day previous - that did not help - I then did a system restore to 1 month previous - that did not help either.

It is as if the port to allow access to the Net is being blocked or has been turned off somehow. Is there a Registry hack I can do to check this and turn the Internet or Port back on.

Thanks in advance.

Todd
Cornerstone

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:17 AM

My first instinct would be to run the Symantec Removal Tool http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgen...005033108162039 and make sure all portions of the previously installed Symantec product have been completely removed.

If they have AVG Free Edition, it does not come with a "packaged" firewall so you should be able to count that out. If they purchased AVG then you will have a "firewall" within AVG to deal with.

Hope this helps,

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:26 AM

The way to "turn off" the Internet...is simply to not create the connection. Disable the modem/NIC...eliminate the connection.

A system that doesn't utilize a firewall and an AV program...has very good chances of being currently infected, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users