Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scanner scans preview image, but then freezes up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 starwarsgeek

starwarsgeek

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:58 PM

I've had an HP Scanjet 6300C for the past few years, and I've never had any problems with it. The other day, I had to scan a document. I laid it on the bed, and did the preview scan. Everything was fine. I chose my scanning area and tried to scan the image, but the scanner just sat there, not moving. Completely froze up. I tried doing the scan via Photoshop (which is what I usually do) and then straight through the HP Scanjet software. Neither works, I get the same result.

I uninstalled drivers and software and reinstalled them... no change.

Anything else I can try to do to fix this? Or does it just mean it's dead? I'm confused because it does the preliminary/preview scan without a problem, but won't complete the 'real' scan for me. Any help or advice is welcomed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 starwarsgeek

starwarsgeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:42 PM

So... nobody? Anybody? Is my scanner just dead or am I doing something wrong?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:46 PM

Well...when my scanners don't work properly...I just assume that it's time for another.

The warranty is for a year, if you got more than that out of it, it's probably time for a new one. My experience is that scanners don't necessarily provide any warning when it's time for a replacement.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board?board.id=Scan

Have you tried uninstalling all HP software, physically detaching the scanner for a few hours...and trying to reinstall it?

You might try at this location: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board?board.id=Scan

Louis

#4 txtchr

txtchr

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:05 PM

hamluis is correct. I've gone through my fair share of scanners. Sometimes they'll give you a warning, and sometimes they just quit. Sounds like there is something in the optical motor (the actual bulb that moves the light from the top of the bed to the bottom of the bed) that isn't able to operate. If that's the case, just scrap the scanner and replace it.

From my experiences with dealing with HP online support, you'll probably get nowhere. In fact, after your scanner is out of warranty, dealing with any of the manufacturers gives you the same option: ship it back to them at your cost, they'll repair it for a fee of minimum $50, and then you pay to ship it back.

Save yourself the hassle and just get another one. I purchased a higher end Canon that died after 15 months. Canon gave me no satisfaction. So, I gave up on it and bought a $79 Canon scanner from Amazon. That thing is still cranking after two years (and it scans at higher resolution, too). I tried everything to get that original scanner to operate (even installing it on a different computer) to no avail. No regrets that I finally replaced it.

Edit for spelling error

Edited by txtchr, 02 July 2009 - 07:08 PM.

#5 starwarsgeek

starwarsgeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2009 - 10:50 AM

Sounds like there is something in the optical motor (the actual bulb that moves the light from the top of the bed to the bottom of the bed) that isn't able to operate.

The thing I find weird is that it does the preview scan with no problem, but then locks up when it's time to do the "real" scan. If that motor was broken would it still do the preview?

I guess I don't use my scanner enough anymore to really warrant buying a new one, but it just kills me that these things just up and die for no reason. Now my DVD drive isn't working, when it worked just yesterday and everything was fine :thumbsup:

#6 txtchr

txtchr

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 03 July 2009 - 01:28 PM

You may have some sort of power problem with the scanner. Can't say what's going on with your DVD drive, as that may be just a coincidence. I can say that if you have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, disconnected the power supply and reconnected it, connected the USB cable to a different USB port and it still would not function, then it probably is dead.

If you go into My Computer --> System Information --> Hardware tab --> Device Manager, then collapse the plus sign next to Imaging Devices, is the scanner listed there? Does it have a yellow question mark next to it (meaning there is a problem with it)? You can try updating the driver from there if you'd like to give that a shot.

I do know that when a scanner goes through preview, it takes a "snapshot" where the optical bulb does not actually move the entire length of the bed (which is why previews show almost instantly vs. a full scan). If there is something wrong with the motor that drives the light unit, then it can't do a full scan. Does the light come on in the scanner when you restart your computer (most scanners go through this self-test), and do you receive any kind of error message when it fails to scan?

Again, if you do need a flatbed scanner, they are not expensive. The model you have has been improved, and there are models on the market now that scan at much higher resolutions, are much more compact, and are quite a bit cheaper (as I said before, I got mine from Amazon for $79, qualified for free shipping, and there was no tax). I use mine maybe once a week (which is extremely light), but it was worth replacing when the old one kicked the bucket and became a rather large doorstop.

Edit: Have you tried plugging the scanner directly into a power outlet in the wall (and not through a power strip or battery back-up unit)? If I recall correctly, I had an HP printer that acted up a while back; when I plugged it straight into the wall, it worked. Through a battery back-up unit it would not (even though the lights were flashing that it was receiving the data from the computer). Apparently it wasn't receiving adequate power unless it went straight through the socket in the wall.

Edited by txtchr, 03 July 2009 - 02:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users