Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Card .. No Display

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MrClose

MrClose

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:04 PM

I didn't want to stretch out my other post because this appears to be a different problem!?

The other post was about a bad color display.

I bought a GeForce8400 GS with 512 MB's memory today.

I put the card in and get no display.

Before I bought the card, I was worried that the pci ex slot might be bad because the old card, a GeForce 6200 never had display abilities either.
The new card has a fan and the fan works so I believe that this shows that the pci slot is okay?

The card doesn't have any other power plugin (not running from the PSU, it runs directly from just being plugged into the slot).

I have an antec 400 watt supply so I can't see that as being a problem.

The pc is an xp pro and apparently has always run on just the onboard graphics chip.

Could the pci slot be bad and the cards fan run anyway?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:22 PM

Remove the video card
Hook up the onboard
Start & go in the BIOS
Set it to use the PCI slot [Peg ] first
Turn the unit off
Install the video card
Try it .
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:05 AM

Hi fairjoeblue

The pc bios is set to the pci ex.

I'm begining to think that All Gateway pc's have this problem.

Just searching on google with the sentence "new card no display" brings results dealing mostly with Gateway pc's!

I have done everything known to man and tech .. going on a year and a half now, trying to get video thru some other means than the onboard .. with Zero luck.

Forget asking Gateway.
Before I had a clue .. I asked one of them How to disable the onboard video and .. I got Four Pages of instructions! LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users