Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help me recover documents for my HD folder "access denied- this folder is unaccessible"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tomcruise3230

tomcruise3230

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:42 PM

I have a HD where i have "windows xp" installed that isn't working properly due to shock however i can still turn it on but it only shows up a blank black screen and doesn't go no where. So i had to put it in an external enclosure with my other "windows xp" PC . Doing that I can access folders like "programs" and "windows" and "guest documents" however what i cannot do is try to go inside the owner/admistrator folder because i get the message "access denied- this folder is unaccessible". When i go to "properities" it says it has 0 bytes however when i click on the "hard drive icon" itself it says it does have almost all the 120 GB (and over 48% free space) i have saved on the administrators account. I already tried running it on safe mode but it just restarts over and over and doesn't go through.

So please tell me how can I possibly recover files (only want to recover very important documents only) where windows is installed and I am not getting premission to check the "owner/adminstrators" folder and documents.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:51 PM

These links may interest you:

http://www.le.ac.uk/cc/dsss/docs/acls2.shtml

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:35 PM

Open My Computer
Open the drive in the enclosure
Open Documents & Settings
Open the folder with your user name NOT the "administrator" folder.
Look in My Documents.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 tomcruise3230

tomcruise3230
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:36 PM

I have tried this but still get the message ""access denied- owner folder is unaccessible". So it must be something else. I believe because of shock the owner folder documents are unaccessible but not the others but i am not sure.

Please suggest me on what else I should do?

These links may interest you:

http://www.le.ac.uk/cc/dsss/docs/acls2.shtml

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

#5 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:30 PM

Hmmm... try what fairjoeblue said if you haven't. You may also want to try to copy the folder over to your computer and try and open it from there. (If the folder's not too big)
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#6 Jack0

Jack0

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 17 November 2009 - 05:29 PM

Hi, most definetly to late but i'd just like to add for others future reference:

If you have "acccess denied" on a folder that shows 0 bytes you can access it by starting in safe mode:

To do this, reboot the pc. You need to keep tapping f8 when the post screen shows something similar to this picture :

Posted Image

Tap f8 until you are presented with a screen like this:

Posted Image

Select Safe Mode at the top.

Once onto windows go to the folder in question, right click it and select properties. In folder properties, go to the Security tab, then go click Advanced, then go to the Owner tab...Select the user to whom you want to give ownership, then check the box that says something similar to "replace owner on subcontainers and objects".

Edited by Jack0, 17 November 2009 - 05:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users