Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Booting from USB flash drive for Gateway MX3410

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rsd79

rsd79

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:25 PM

My mx3410 laptop's cd-drive does not work. It gives me read errors, when I try recovery from CD. Is it possible to copy contents of my gateway CD to a USB flash drive and boot from the USB?

My second option: I could try pulling out my Desktop's HDD and installing the laptop 2.5inch hdd into my desktop and then use the cd-drive on my desktop PC. Will that work?

Edited by rsd79, 15 June 2009 - 09:28 PM.

Dustin Penner is the new Jaromir Jagr.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:57 AM

<<It gives me read errors, when I try recovery from CD..>>

"Recovery" is not the same thing as installing XP. Which do you want to do?

Some links you might want to peruse, http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls...mp;oq=&aqi=

Note that many of the comments are pure conjecture and nothing I would consider recommending for guidance.

Gateway info on repair/install methods built into that computer, http://support.gateway.com/s/SOFTWARE/Medi...MLXPH1asi.shtml

<<I could try pulling out my Desktop's HDD and installing the laptop 2.5inch hdd into my desktop and then use the cd-drive on my desktop PC. Will that work?>>

I don't know, but I suspect that it won't.

There's nothing that indicates that your files for recovery/restore would run on an optical drive which is on a different system. In fact, (IMO) it appears that the net result would be...overwriting the system files of the XP installed on the 2d system. It depends on how the restore/recovery CDs are configured to work. Perhaps you can call someone at Gateway and get a better answer.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 16 June 2009 - 07:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users