Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Turning backup partition into a rescue CD - HOW?!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:00 PM

A computer I have been given has become inaccessible. I need to reinstall Windows, and the only copy these people legally have is the restore partition on their hard drive. I have successfully managed to use tools that let me boot the machine and copy all the files I need to a USB key.

I now need to turn the files on the USB key into a CD-ROM/DVD in order to create some bootable media for the machine to reinstall from. Windows has errors when it tries copying some of these folders and files off the key, and poweriso won't build project - it wants to just keep opening folders, instead of copying the whole folder (and directory structure) to the CD project.

What do I need to do in order to create this restore windows disc?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:04 PM

What brand is it ?
If it has a reinstallation partition you should be able to reinstall from it.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:20 PM

You may want to read http://www.howtohaven.com/system/createwin...setupdisk.shtml

FWIW: A backup partition...is not the same thing as a restore/recovery partition.

Louis

#4 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:24 PM

HP Compaq nc 6320

...how do I reinstall from it? I always thought the partition existed to be copied like a system restore disc that some places don't include with the purchase of a machine. (I need to go look at retail computers. I've forgotten what's supposed to come with them and how they work anymore.)

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:36 PM

As long as you know the product code number you can use any Windows XP CD to reinstall the operating system. Just make sure you use the right XP CD (Pro or Home).
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:51 PM

All I have is a copy of XP Pro that was made for VLK licensing. The version of XP Pro on this laptop is just XP Pro, single license that's on the bottom of the machine. Will my disc work? I thought VLK copies didn't like single licenses and vice versa?

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:00 PM

It might not work but it's worth a try. You may need to phone the Microsoft hotline if it won't activate correctly. I have never called the hotline myself but I've heard they are pretty reasonable if you explain the situation.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:17 PM

I would like to run recovery console if I could first, but you need the local machine's password for that - which the user doesn't know. Are there any IT tools designed to let us bypass that? Like linux has a sudo command where you can just one-of a command line and go, without actually being logged in as the local administrator? Or is starting over pretty much the only recourse I have to offer this guy?

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:25 PM

I'm sorry but we don't allow discussion of ways to bypass passwords on this site.

You could try a repair install:

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:29 PM

"sudo" is a legitimate tool built into the system to allow that kind of access. Does Windows have such a thing? That's pretty much all my question was. Not asking for hack, cracks or illegal things. I was just asking if, built into the old DOS command lines that still work in places like recovery console, is there a place/command built legitimately into the system to allow someone access to fix things.

<goes to read your link>

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:42 PM

According to the Compaq website you may be able to do a recovery by pressing F11 during boot (before Windows tries to load) to access the recovery menu.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users