Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A simple question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 02 July 2005 - 06:31 PM

I am running a Dell computer as some of u know, the AGP slot on it only supports 4x AGP. The crad that came with it is an AGP 8x card. I am confused. I thought that if an AGP 4x/8x card is put into an AGP 2x/4x slot then the mobo would fry? please give some clarity to this very big head scratcher I have. Thanx

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 02 July 2005 - 10:31 PM

The only way to be sure is to dig out the specs on the board and the AGP card, but, in general the cards are keyslotted and you should not be able to plug an AGP into a motherboard with the wrong voltages. But to confuse the issue some AGP's are capable of handling multiple voltages (They are called 2X/4X or 4x/8X cards or Universal cards) and they have two keyslots in the connector. And some motherboards have no key in the socket as they were deemed 'universal' at the time of manufacture.

In your case you need to check the AGP slot to see if is 2X/4X or 4X only - if it is 4X only it should have a key/bar in the slot.
Your card is 8X (which can run as a 4X) it supports 1.5V and 0.8V. So if your mobo is 4X only, you should be OK but if it is 2X/4X then you risk board damage.

Clear as mud huh? :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2005 - 11:19 PM

all i know is tha dell can be real sketchy on heavy tech details but heres wat i know... my mobo has Intel chipsets (go figure), and my vid card is fairly old, its an nVidia GeForce4 MX420 64mb AGP (no duh, lol)

I have another question, with hte mobo in mobo in mind would a 256mb Radeon 9250 PCI work w/o giving me probs ( that is after i get rid of the other 1)

new info: my AGP slot is 2x/4x at 1.5v and for the PCI question this is what it says... the connector size is 120 pins and the max datawith is 32bits... holy darn i wish i could understand more, lol and i already know more than just about 99% of the population (i live in tucson)

another thing my PSU is only 250watts :thumbsup: Dell really likes to save money

P.S.: link to tech specs Documentation

while searching i foud out that my vid card is also 2x/4x so that clears up wat my card is lol, now to find out if 4x/8x cards will work (after setting them at 4x)

Edited by legoman786, 02 July 2005 - 11:39 PM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#4 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2005 - 12:06 AM

i found a really good card that will just slip right in to the existing AGP and not give me any probs, except maybe heat but i took care of that a long time ago. It's an nVidia GeForce4 Ti 128mb, for only $81 at Newegg.com. if you can find better please do tell

- Rick Cook

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 03 July 2005 - 01:09 AM

How about a link to your card? (Icouldn't find it)

Here's a quote from nVidia about AGP compatibility which I don't think makes the situation any clearer but its the best I could come up with -

NVIDIA based graphic cards which support AGP 8x mode (Accelerated Graphics Port) follow the AGP 3.0 specification.  The AGP 3.0 specification retains backwards compatibility with older AGP 4x technology.  All NVIDIA Geforce and Quadro GPU's which support AGP 8x mode are downwards compatible with AGP 4x motherboards.  When a graphics card which operates at AGP 8x mode is installed on a motherboard which only supports up to AGP 4x mode, the card will automatically switch to AGP 4x operation.

- note the use of the phrase "up to AGP 4X" which to me would imply a 2X/4X slot is OK. But that's not my understanding.

Good luck!

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 03 July 2005 - 07:26 AM

If the new video card gives you problems you may have to upgrade your power supply. Its probably a good idea to do it anyway. If you do see this page to see if you need the adapter or you'll have to buy your PSU from Dell.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2005 - 11:53 AM

so basically after i upgrade my PSU (Dell i hate you) i can use ANY 4x/8x AGP card as long as it is an nVidia GeForce or Qaudro chipset?

heres the link to the GeForce TiLeadtek A250-TD Video Card

- Rick Cook

#8 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2005 - 07:41 PM

another question (sorry for making u guys work so hard) are any of ATi's cards backward compatible with 4x? cuz my dad really wants a card with a TV tuner and only ATi makes that option available. (i think)

- Rick Cook

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 04 July 2005 - 06:20 AM

I'm sure that ATI aren't the only ones. You will need to pick a card and look at the specifications to see what it is compatible with.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#10 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2005 - 09:17 AM

thanx for the help guys, i really appreciate it... now i just need to get the stuff :thumbsup: but for now my GeForce4 MX420 64mb card will suffice

- Rick Cook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users