Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iexplore.exe

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 akex

akex

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 15 June 2009 - 04:07 PM

Hi Guys.
After many many months of trouble free computing, I have a fly in the ointment by the name of 'iexplore.exe'
For the past few days, it has taken an age to open an email. (I use Googlemail) The culprit is 'iexplore.exe' which is taking up 100% of my cpu and slowing the system to a crawl. I can use the internet fine, this problem only occurs when using email. I've done anti virus and spyware scans and they have turned up nothing. I'm running a 1gig processor with 2MB ram so it should be plenty fast enough. I've tried testing other internet applications and everything zips along just fine but when I return to my emails and click on one, my CPU shoots straight to 100%.
I would be grateful for any ideas for a fix

Regards
Alex

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:02 PM

Hi akex,

Have you tried using System Restore to see if you can return your computer to the state it was in when it was working? If you've never done this before, Go to Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Restore
check the box to Restore my computer to an earlier time and click on Next. You'll see a calendar with highlighted dates. Choose one of the dates just preceeding these problems and allow your system to return to that date. See if the problem goes away.
If this doesn't work, go back into System Restore as per the above instructions, only this time choose the option to reverse the change you made.

For Vista: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/...43.html#restore

Let me know if this works.

Zllio

#3 JJ2K

JJ2K

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:26 PM

So are you simply navigating to mail.google.com and iexplorer.exe decides to take up 100% cpu?

Or are you accessing google mail via another method, if so how.

Other options to system restore would be to start IE without Addons to see if an addon is the culprit.

#4 akex

akex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:19 PM

Hi guys
I've tried system restore but it's still the same. Everything internet-wise works great until I go to email. I click on an email to open it and the CPU shoots up to 100% for about 20-30 seconds then drops down to about 2% if I don't touch anything.
I try to click on another and it's the same thing.
I use iGoogle as my homepage and only access my mail from the 'Mail' button, a system which has worked perfectly well until a couple of days ago. I haven't got any add on's or anything, it's exactly the same setup which i've used problem free for over a year until this little fly landed in my email ointment.
Now I did renew my subscription to 'The Shield 2009' at around the time this problem occurred, but I was using the same antivirus before with no problems. I've checked all the settings and they seem fine.
Not a major bummer but an annoyance all the same.

#5 JJ2K

JJ2K

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:40 PM

Hm if it's when your clicking an e-mail only, seems as if something would be scanning or checking the e-mail for any problems/viruses.

Try disabling/closing one of your programs, say the shield before opening an email and see if it solves the problem. Obviously repeat the experiment for any other security software.

Then when you've found the offending software check out the settings for email protection

Oh an also why not try using another browser rather than IE. say Firefox, it's meant to be more secure anyhow and you might not find the problem occuring in that browser.

Edited by JJ2K, 15 June 2009 - 06:41 PM.

#6 akex

akex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 01:58 PM

Hello again.

We have success my friend, thank you very much.
I tried disabling 'Shield' but it didn't make any difference so i tried your other suggestion and downloaded Firefox, imported my 'iGoogle ' homepage and tried it. What a difference..! I click on an email now and the CPU only jumps to around 37% for the merest fraction of a second and the mail opens instantly.. brilliant.
All I have to do now is find my missing bookmarks which didn't get imported for some reason.

So my problem was obviously IE causing 'iexplore.exe' to use 100% CPU.

Good advice and a good fix.
Thank you so very much.

Regards
Alex

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,229 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 03:29 PM

A simple repair of IE...may have corrected the problem, had such been done.

IE, like everything else...can get damaged and require repair.

How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=318378

Louis

#8 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 17 June 2009 - 03:06 AM

Hi akex,

just want to add to hamluis's suggestion of trying the IE repair that there's a help forum at Mozilla. This link from the FAQ gives some information on importing favorites from IE: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Import_bookmarks

Zllio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users