Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Map network drive by IP address? Possible?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tripflex

tripflex

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:05 PM

Alright so i did some searching on google and couldn't find anything...just wondering if anybody on here has any ideas.

Here's the setup...

I've got a computer at home that i have running as a server (windows server 2008) and it hosts my website, ftp, etc etc... basically everything.

Well here's my question...is there any way for me to map a drive off that server without being connected through VPN? Reason i ask is because i have a laptop which is not always on the network (ie when im at work) and i just want to map a network drive off the server but still be able to access it from anywhere with internet.

Is this possible?

Thanks!!
There's no place like 0.0.0.0, i'm tired of being at 127.0.0.1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 04:57 PM

Hello, I believe that it is possible, Have you thought of using Samba?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 tripflex

tripflex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 18 June 2009 - 06:47 PM

Looked at that but the server i'm running is Windows Server 2008 and the only file i can find on there is for linux not windows...do you know of any software that would work on windows?>

Thanks
There's no place like 0.0.0.0, i'm tired of being at 127.0.0.1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users