Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Country Music Sharing

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 guitarbutt

guitarbutt

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:20 PM

Hey everyone

Anyone who likes country music, why not we share our favorite artists (top 5 or 10 perhaps), songs, albums, voices, overall favorite, etc. Hopefully we can all hear some new stuff that we'll really like

top 10 artists
Shooter Jennings (son of Waylon)
George Jones
Jamey Johnson
Waylon Jennings
Hank Williams, Jr.
Hal Ketchum
Jacob Lyda
Merle Haggard
Dolly Parton
Dwight Yoakam

Jacon Lyda is the only real unknown on this list, for reasons I don't know. He has talent falling out of his boots. I got to see him at Tootsie's bar in Nashville, and met him and bought two of his albums (indy releases basically) and got them signed. He has a myspace page, which is about the only place you'll hear his music. He is traditional country, in the vein of Randy Travis and George Strait.

Jamey Johnson's "That Lonesome Song" and George Jones' "I Am What I Am" are two of my favorite albums of alltime, country or rock n roll

I think one of the best songs in modern times in Rascal Flatts' "What Hurts The Most". Their version is good, but hte writer, Jeffrey Steele, has the definitive version. Sadly, it's fairly unknown, but youtube has some incredible live versions of it. At times he gets to sounding like Elton John when he sings in his raspy voice.

The best songs of all time in my opinion are
"He Stopped Loving Her Today"-George Jones
"If Tomorrow Never Comes"-Garth Brooks
"In Color"-Jamey Johnson

They all have a timeless sound to them (unlike what the radio plays 5 times a day).

Conway Twitty didn't make my top 10 list, but only because I haven't heard a great deal of his music. But his voice is phenomenal. If you get a chance to hear "Slow Hand", you will definitely smile at the voice he has.

I recently bought Jamey Johnson's first album, "The Dollar", and I came across what has become a favorite song of mine-"My Saving Grace". If you can find that song anywhere, it's great.

But to anyone who likes smokey voiced outlaw country, listen to Shooter Jennings. It's like Lynyrd Skynyrd had a baby and raised him on country music.

Edited by guitarbutt, 15 June 2009 - 12:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 11:05 PM

guitarbutt,,,

WOW!! that really is some "old Country"
can't say that i'm much into the really old stuff.....
you mentioned "Conway Twitty"
This is the only song of his that i really ever liked..

I do however like "Hal Ketchum"

How about a little "Shelly West"..... :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySdRUWYJhsk

I do however like artist's like..
Reba McEntire
Doug Stone
Garth Brook's
Trisha Yearwood
Brook's and Dunn
Wynonna
just to name a few... :flowers: :trumpet: :inlove: :cool:

You want to be great, Learn how to heal people, To hurt people is easy

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:27 AM

More into the Bluegrass side
Chet Atkins
Sam Bush
Randy Travis
Tony Rice
Norman Blake
And the best that cannot be pinned down to any certain type Leo Kottke
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 guitarbutt

guitarbutt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 02:00 PM

I forgot all about that conway song, thanks for that link. I love some of Reba's song. One of my favorite songs ever is "The Night The lights Went out In Georgia". He version of that is great. That song, Ketchum's "Small Town Saturday Night", and Toby Keith's "Should have been a cowboy" are the 3 great songs I remember listening to a lot as a kid (I'm 20). I have KKetchum's first two albums, and they are loaded with gems. "Stay forever" being one.

In the vein of Leo Kotke and his sickening guitar abilities, Jerry Reed is pphenomenal. My favorite movie is Smokey and the Bandit, and I've seen him in a few 70s movies, but I never knew he was such a great guitar player.
Here is "Lightning Rod". It's almost disgusting

I recently saw an episode of HeeHaw and Roy Clark did his instrumental break and played "Maleguena". There are many versions on youtube, but they are equally great.

I really like Garth Brooks' earlier stuff, (the Dance, If tomorrow Never Comes, Much too young, Shameless). His first album was amazing. It's almost greatest hits caliber with the songs on it. I literally heard shameless for the first time last weekend. I was at work and it was on the radio and I went home and tried to find the title (since radio stations never tell the songs anymore). I learned it was a cover of a Billy Joel song. And I had the Joel album but had forgotten completely about it. I had that same thing happen with Carrie Underwood's I Told You So. I had the Randy Travis album that it was on and forgot all about it.

That Shelly West song just finished, I haven't heard that song in ages. I love that, thanks for that link too. I've seen that live Hal one several times, I love it.

Wynonna I like, but haven't heard a lot from her. I remember when she was big in the mid 90s (fame and physical size) and my grandpa used to tell me "There's your girlfriend" and I'd get so mad. I tried to have a comeback, and told him "well your girlfriend is ELMYRA!!" (the little red headed girl on Tiny Tunes who "hugged and squeezed" every animal). Everytime I hear a Wynonna song I remember that

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:47 PM

Leo Kotke and his sickening guitar abilities,

Did you ever hear his story on how his 10 string guitar came to be?
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 guitarbutt

guitarbutt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:23 PM

No, I haven't. I'd love to though

#7 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:00 PM

I just had to....
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:21 PM

Galadriel
:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:
you're a trip.....

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#9 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:06 PM

Hehe. Thanks MissPlaced. :thumbsup:

But seriously, these guys are pretty good. I like most of their stuff. Not a huge country country fan, but I like the more 'pop/rock' type. My dad was a big country dood and he would play the guitar and sing many of the greats of country. I grew up on lots of this stuff...

One of my personal favorites.... from the 'old' style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn3JB51NH_M...feature=related
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 guitarbutt

guitarbutt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:40 PM

Hahaha I just learned to play El Paso on guitar. That intro and verse is great.

That Rascal Flatts song is true hah. Not their biggest fan but I do enjoy some of their stuff. That song is among them hahah. Thanks for putting that, I forgot all about that song

#11 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:45 PM

Galadriel...
WOW!! did that take me back....as a child i heard this and many other's in my house
Like Johnny Cash's "Ring Of Fire" ect...My Father loved to listen to Marty Robbins as well,
this was his and one of my favorites from the "oldie stuff"

Guitarbutt,If your into Garth Brook's,IMHO, His "Scarecrow" Cd is just about the best,,,you won't find the song's on You Tube tho....

Wynonna has a great song called "Additude" i won't post it here, it's a lil risque for this forum.....But you can find it on You Tube
and just for fun....I'll post this one....

:thumbsup:

~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#12 guitarbutt

guitarbutt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:58 PM

MissPlaced-I read some reviews for Scarecrow, I'd love to get it.

If anyone likes Waylon Jennings, and knows hte song "Don't You Think This Outlaw Bit's Done Got Out of Hand", check this one out. Same song, but from what I understand, Shooter and Waylon remade it. They did it when Shooter was in his late teens, and just recently Shooter's band rerecorded the backing music. It's a slow, sad ballad, in opposition of the original, which was fast. I love this version. Jamey Johnson and Shooter did this song on CMT's Crossroads. The only thing that is really different is the title, and one word in the song. It's called "Outlaw bleep". If you can find Shooter and Jamey playing it (probably www.CMT.com will have it somewhere), Shooter sounds hauntingly like his dad

#13 guitarbutt

guitarbutt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:15 PM

I found the Outlaw Sh*T song with Shooter and Jamey

http://www.cmt.com/videos/misc/357909/dont...rossroads.jhtml

CMT also has Crossroads shows of other people. Hank Jr and Kid Rock will have theirs show on July 10th it said. Taylor Swift did a show with Def Leppard by the way haha

#14 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:42 PM

guitarbutt.

That song had a hauntingly beautiful quality to it..Thank's!

Now here's the origional "Bad Boyz" of country music...... :thumbsup:

and Waylon's Better half.....

~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#15 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:44 PM

No, I haven't. I'd love to though

The way he tells it is so funny
Basically, he had an old 12 string and an old stray, favorite case
The guitar was too big for the case, but he needed one, so he cut the top off the headstock along with 2 tuning pegs
He brought that guitar out at a concert I was at and just made that thing sing

Edited by garmanma, 16 June 2009 - 09:46 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users