Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yahoo mail backup?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 K80

K80

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:45 AM

I have an email folder in yahoo with almost 2500 emails that I need to keep. Is there a way to put them onto a disk so I can keep them? Now I'm OLD and so will need step by step instrux. I'm sure this subject has been covered somewhere but I cant find it. I would like to burn them to a CD if possible.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:17 PM

I do not belive i you can copy web based emails to a local computer.

Yahoo and others do not send the acutal email to your computer. You are just reading directly from their email servers

If you are using a POP email (Outlook) you can do a backup copy. An email provdied by an ISP is sent directly to you, and its kept on your computer.

#3 K80

K80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:54 PM

No clue what all that means but seems to me if I can print them out I should be able to transfer them to a note pad of some sort and make a back up from there. I have read where others have done it just I didnt understand how it was done. Making them different files???? But thanks for trying

#4 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:34 AM

Well you could print them out, and scan them put them on a disk that way.

Web based email, such as Yahoo, Gmail and Hotmail, you "read" a copy of the email on their servers. A server is basically a super fast and larger volume computer, most suited for network traffic. Most web based emails you need a web browswer (IE8 or Firefox are the two biggest).

Emails from ISP's (such as AT&T, Comcast or Time Warner), the copy is sent to you directly. You however need an email application, such as Microsoft Outlook. There are other free email managers, Thunderbird i belive is a popular one. This is normally called "POP" email, which i belive stands for Point Of Presence.

Yahoo has Email Plus , if you subscribe to them and pay an annual fee, this normally will allow you to access your emails without a web browser.
try this out http://overview.mail.yahoo.com/enhancements/mailplus

#5 K80

K80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:00 AM

Again, thank you. I thought about printing them out as I will have to eventually but one by one will take me a week. So if I were to get another email address such as road runner as I have time warner...I could forward all of them to it and go from there????

I have mailplus but it cant do what I want either. Even yahoo said I can export them to someplace such as "word" or notepad but they havent given me step by step how. If I didnt need them this wouldnt be so bad.....

#6 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:14 PM

You could forward them to your email manager.

You mentioned Road Runner, which is from TW. What email manager do you use? Outlook?

#7 CnP Systems

CnP Systems

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:09 PM

There was a freeware program that I've seen talked about on BC: FreePOPs. Have you tried that?
CnP

#8 K80

K80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:36 AM

Freepop? No never heard of it. I use internet explorer as my email manager...I think? I just looked at forwarding them to my road runner account and it wont take a bulk forward will have to do it one by one. If thats the case then I might as well just print them out now. Wish I had known this before I decided to store all of them. I'm telling you there has to be an easier way.......if we can put a man on the moon we shud be able to burn emails to a CD????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users